First, an update of the initial map. I think it's got all the elements I want on it (this doesn't count, so I won't label it as a WIP entry):
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jade-Mountain-Pass-1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	65337

And the continuing story:
The Portalists espoused a radical new philosophy. Unlike the Architect Priests, who claimed the right to enter the Throne of the Architects as theirs alone, the Portalists believed that anyone who was properly prepared and knowledgeable might be able to find their way to the Throne. Not only that, but they went so far as to claim that one did not have to ascend to that realm after death but could enter it alive and return with the knowledge of the gods themselves. Of course this idea threatened the absolute power held by the ruling class and so, naturally, there was war. The revolution proved very popular; the Portalist philosophy not only raised the status of the common citizen, it also promised release from centuries of slavery. Within two years the priests were overthrown, and their tombs in the Jade Mountain Pass were buried by the jubilant and recently-freed slaves.

Sadly the democratic ideals of the Portalist leaders did not last much beyond the destruction of the priests' dictatorship. The elite among the Portalist faction installed themselves as Emperors and immediately turned the resources of the empire towards getting themselves into the Throne. Most were unsuccessful and so they built mausoleums in the pass, certain that if they could not reach the Throne in life they would still ascend to that realm after death, like the priests before them. However, a few emperors did manage to ascend in life, or so it was believed; none of them ever reappeared after passing through the portals they constructed. Some went alone, others with companions. Most notable of these was Virnak the Unyielding, who passed through his portal along with six thousand soldiers and as many more civilians in his train. Though the Emperors' rule persisted for almost three centuries, the unpredictable disappearance of its rulers did not bode well for the stability of the Empire itself.

### Latest WIP ###
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jade-Mountain-Pass-2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	65338

As always, critique is welcome. I'm doing this to learn, after all!

cheers,
Meshon