Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name my world map!

Guild Apprentice

Default Name my world map!

Here is the next, and possibly the largest, step in mapping my campaign world: the world map. Thus far I've done a single city map, a national map which contains that city, and now a world map which contains that nation. My only issue is that, in spite of all my campaign planning, I have yet to name this world, describing it as The Realms, for convenience sake.

Without further ado, a legended and unlegended version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map Bare Final.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	65161 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map Labeled Final.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	65162

If you would like to name my world map, leave a suggestion in the comments!

As always, comments and criticisms are more than welcome. Special thanks to RobA for enabling someone without artistic talent such as myself with tutorials, tools, and even a free compass rose. Also thanks to Daelin for providing inspiration (and color scheme cues) in his fantastic map.

Sorry to ask you but Im new to this map thing how did you do the sea like that and the compass with the lines in the back ?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

What about Deedland or Documentia? (You know, to go along with Escrow...)

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Deedland or Documentia?
    Interesting direction (and honestly, how did I not think of tying those names together?) Though to name the world something ending in -land makes little sense, implying that there are other lands. Documentia isn't bad, but I'm not sure it rings as well as it could.

Any other ideas?

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by LucasG View Post
    Sorry to ask you but Im new to this map thing how did you do the sea like that and the compass with the lines in the back ?
    I'm sorry you might need to be more specific. Getting the lines of the compass rose behind the landmass was a simple matter of placing them on two separate layers. If you're starting from that point (as we all did at some point) maybe you should drop by the tutorials section of the site to learn a little more.

A very nice style overall. I really dig the mountains and the forests aren't bad (although they could be smoother, not so grainy imo).
    Not sure i like the compass-rose rays. They make it seem as if the land is floating in the air above the water and those said rays.

As to a name ... i'm sorry, i can't help you there. It's your world, you should name it
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Member

I really like these maps. Like someone else said though, the lines are a bit much. I'd either make them a bit thinner, or lower their opacity a little. But that's not what you asked! Unforunately, I suck at naming things so I can't help you there. Just wanted to congratulate you on how nice this map looks.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RazielKilsenhoek View Post
    But that's not what you asked!
    Fair enough, though perhaps I should have been more specific in the original post: this map is still a work in progress (though quite near completion) and I value any advice I can get. Does this work better, or do the lines still get in the way?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map 3.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	65225

EDIT: Added a blur to the forest layer as well. Though frankly, I can only upload it as 45% resolution here and I'm not sure it improves the full-res version very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map 3.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	65224  
    Last edited by Scarce; 06-25-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Minor mapc hange

Guild Member

That works a lot better, in my opinion. Before, the lines were just as bright as the land. Now the land stands out more, while the lines remain visible, but visibly in the background where they belong.

As for the forest, it's hard to say without seeing it at full res. Perhaps you could cut out a little 600 by 600 section of the map and show us the forest as it was before and after the added blur? That's the only way to accurately tell one way or the other.

Guild Apprentice

Blurred and sharp:
    Name:  forest blurred.png
Views: 158
Size:  74.8 KB Name:  forest sharp.png
Views: 150
Size:  85.3 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast