Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Map (WIP)

I used a simple map of the neighbourhood of LA on the net (not very precise though). Your link is a gold mine, a very big thanks for that !! I'll probably use it a lot and redo some of the borders.
    I'm not making an actual map of LA (even if it's close too). It's for a not-so-distant future rpg setting (in 2085), so there will be some differences. One of them : I consider all the freeways to be above the ground and with a metro line under it. So a lot of metro lines, but not underground (and no more the old lines). Each number on the freeways are both stations and interchange.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA labels suite.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	66024

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I used a simple map of the neighbourhood of LA on the net (not very precise though). Your link is a gold mine, a very big thanks for that !! I'll probably use it a lot and redo some of the borders.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I'm not making an actual map of LA (even if it's close too). It's for a not-so-distant future rpg setting (in 2085), so there will be some differences. One of them : I consider all the freeways to be above the ground and with a metro line under it. So a lot of metro lines, but not underground (and no more the old lines). Each number on the freeways are both stations and interchange.
    That's a bit impractical, from a planning perspective - whereas freeways are generally built between built-up areas in order to keep away the noise they make, you normally want the metro to run as close to the centres of the various neighbourhoods as possible, since it both shortens travel times and helps spur transit-oriented development. Of course, it's your setting, and they did do it this way in Chicago, but still.

Oh, man, you're just giving me more work ! I still haven't finished to correct the neighborhoods borders.

By Ares96
    they did do it this way in Chicago
    Yes, I'm not sure, but I think it was my inspiration when I decided it (a long time ago...). But, well, I've already change a lot of things, so, why not change the metro too? I'll need more lines and bigger lines, but your point of view is really making sense.

OK, here's the same part with most of the labels (I'll add some icons later) and the metro. I finally put separate metro lines, with just a color dot (green, blue, red lines, etc...) for each metro station.

Name:	LA labels suite.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	66148

That project is so huge, really cool to see the progress! About the numbers, the font is just a bit too thin to me, maybe you cand use a bold type?

A bit more progress... I've added some reservoir/basin and river names. I intent to put a detailed downtown on the bottom left ("in the ocean" if you want ).

I can't use a bold version for the numbers. This font is kinda unreadable at this size when bold. I may try a different font... or give up the circle around the numbers and use a bigger font size.

Name:	LA labels1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	66176

Name:	LA Labels2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	66177

Here are some tests about the numbers. Which one do you prefer?

Name:	test station.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	66380
    I'm sorting out the borders in the upper-right part (a mess!) and labelling this quarter right now. I've putted the downtown map aside right now, I'll do it when the main map will be finished.

I like the first one with the circle. I will admit that it is harder to read as the circle is so close to the numbers though.
    I am not certain on the white - it seems stark and out of place - everything else is softer tones.
    A question - why did you decide on pink for the major roads?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The circled one isn't legible.

Is this in PS? I noticed that the train tracks were a hatch pattern. I made a train track brush for you if you want one. http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...in-tracks.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast