Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: A hex world WIP (and WIP app) - personal project

I thought that maybe if you could do a humped dot, hand drawn like illustrated border, but just a nice 3d drawn shaded dot that might work well.
    It would fit your drawn style tiles but not be so plain as the basic dot nor as intrusive as the illustrated stones.
    The first 2 seem incongruous with your style.
    It looks like you can do some variety with the illustrated style so maybe several illustrated dots. I'd like to see how that would look.

The "illustrated borders" look amazing, and they would fit best with the rest of the style.

I can see where it would lead to difficulties though... in this case, I'd say go for the dots.

The four examples look good (not a surprise !), but I would go for the dots too. The illustrated one is very cool but too "strongly present" imho.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, that seems to be the consensus. I'm adding in the blurred borders, and the dots, so that there's an option. One will be a 'border' set, and the other is a 'region'. The two work a little differently - so they get their own UI element.

Thanks for the feedback!

And here's a screenshot of the fuzzy border pieces (and some new isometric border dots).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-06 at 5.11.37 PM.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	73915

Oh my sweet Lord, how have I just now noticed this glorious piece of work?

Really, really impressive concept.

Going to have to take my time this evening working through it.

Thanks! A little more progress: regions now work, and play nicely with borders!

Now, you pick one of the colours, click hexes, and the borders naturally adjust to outline the region. This was a little tricky, but actually worked out really well. Under the hood it's a lot like coastlines. But for region edges we can use x and y symmetry. So I only need 4 sections for each colour, to allow me to create arbitrary hex borders. It does require some careful pixel alignment, and a few browser specific flipX and flipY commands in the css - but it works!

Name:	borders.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	74125

And because it's just a sprite sheet, it's trivial to add more colours. Here's seven to start with, and an example of what that looks like on a map. The top white region is a crop of the sprite sheet. It really does only need those few image sections.

The border lines are placeable anywhere, so they could designate ancient burial hexes that provides victory points when fully controlled, or an old fortified border that changes the attack score of armies that invade across it. Regions and borders compliment each other - and should provide the basic tools required for interesting strategic kingdom building.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

That looks awesome Torstan, nice job!

A couple more developments - new roads, and a question about Fog of War.

The roads:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at 9.10.01 PM.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	74265

And the options for Fog of War:

Name:	FOW.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	74264

How would you want fog of war to work on a world map? And is this - one person sees all? Or many people see different partial regions (ie person 1 can see hex 3 and 4, but not 5, person 2 can see hex 4 and 5 but not 3)?
    1. Everything is hidden
    2. Terrain is visible, but not locations
    3. Everything is visible, but not labels

Thoughts?

Normally, in most strategy games, the tiles are like #1 until they are explored. After that, we can still see the tiles and locations but they are usually not up to date.
    For example, if somebody builds an improvement after you visited the area, the improvement will not appear on the map if there is a fog of war. Not until you discover it.

With an open border treaty, the player should be able to see the map as it is since he's having full access.

So, everyone will see the map differently depending on the tiles they have explored or gained knowledge of if they exchanged maps. Fog of way tiles don't appear black. they are grayed like in number 3.

I'm totally with Azelor:

Unexplored - #1
    Explored but not present - #3 until they are close enough

Do you have in mind introduce marks of PC position with a visibility radius?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast