Thread: Can I take Photoshop map into Illustrator so it is scaleable Vector drawing?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Photoshop being an image editor has limitations on the pixel resolution at file setup. If you set for high resolution and many inches in scale, it can look good, but ideally once you set your resolution parameters, the resolution is fixed and cannot be easily altered in size. While maps created in vector programs like Illustrator can easily rescale, only those maps entirely created in vector and safely rescale without an problems.
    That is unfortunate, really. As I said I haven't tinkered in Illustrator at all, but for all the benefits of vector scalability, it isn't the strongest tool to make the maps in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    If you import a map created in an image editor and import to a vector program it still has fixed pixel resolution, so cannot effective rescale. When I create maps in vector applications like Xara Photo & Graphic Designer I don't even worry about pixel resolution until I am done with the map and at the image export stage, then I scale it in inches to my desired scale, then export at whatever resolution is needed with 100 ppi for Virtual Tabletop apps, or 300 ppi for print. Such features are only available using vector drawing applications.
    Can you, though, take the skeleton of the map, say the initial line drawing, convert that to the vector scalable file illustrator offers and then take it back into Photoshop to add detail on the scaled map? Or am I further ahead to just go nuts with pixel/inch on my world map so I can crop portions for regional maps that are still usable?

You do some very nice tutorials, btw, Gameprinter! Thank you for sharing your wisdom

With a smile,
    DreamQuestin
    Last edited by DreamQuestin; 07-12-2014 at 06:59 PM.