Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Some fractal terrain questions

When the system does the incise flow operation, it computes the result in a temporary surface and the blends that effect back into the main surface. Effect Blend specifies how strongly that blend occurs (0 means no effect, 1 means full effect, 2 means 2 times the effect, 3 means three times the effect, and so on). Setting an effect larger than 1 will carve channels below sea level, a decidedly unrealistic effect. The Amount field has a similar effect, but it won't let the incise operation go below sea level (where the altitude is 0). Setting the Effect Blend to 0.8 lets 80% of the erosion result through.

Exponent controls how much of the flow map affects the final result. The flow map is a function of the number of pixels upstream of the current pixel. It's an ugly exponential result. The exponent allows you to control the relative intensity of the mouth of the river to the highest upstream element.

Thanks , I was now passing to make the climates , I remember You said I can do a climate overlay based on a different setting to not have stripes lines , but I cant find that feature , where I do find it?

Also is there a way to "smooth" the borders of rivers that are too much cutted inside a mountain ? I applied the incision flow and got good results on some areas but on high mountains they cutted too much in rivers and now look more like a reticle labirynth , is there some filters or tricks ot apply to make those mountains back to better normalization but preserve the other areas ?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Thanks , I was now passing to make the climates , I remember You said I can do a climate overlay based on a different setting to not have stripes lines , but I cant find that feature , where I do find it?
    FT has three climate shaders: all are based on a table with average annual rainfall on one axis and average annual temperature on the other. The Climate shader (Map>>Show Climate) uses the results of the table lookup to select a solid color. The Textured Climate shader (Map>>Show Textured Climate) uses the results of the table lookup to select a tiled image. Finally, the Image Climate shader (Map>>Show Image Climate) uses a color image directly as the color lookup without consulting an intermediate table.

Also is there a way to "smooth" the borders of rivers that are too much cutted inside a mountain ? I applied the incision flow and got good results on some areas but on high mountains they cutted too much in rivers and now look more like a reticle labirynth , is there some filters or tricks ot apply to make those mountains back to better normalization but preserve the other areas ?
    Do you have an example image? And preferably another that shows a similar area without the effects that are troubling you.

It's possible that Wilbur's Filter>>Morphological>>Dilate and Filter>>Morphological>>Erode might be of some use here. A median filter might also be helpful, but there isn't one in Wilbur. And finally, there's a process involving selecting the slopes and blurring that might help.

Here the image , same filtering applied , but on one looks all good , the other, the massive mountain block liiks bad couse eroded too much into the mountians .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	938.9 KB 
ID:	66423

Also is there a way to ,if I select a valley with the mountain , make so that the mountains get higher and the valley lower?

Here the image , same filtering applied , but on one looks all good , the other, the massive mountain block liiks bad couse eroded too much into the mountians .
    Try this (animated GIF, 5 seconds per frame, so keep watching):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.gif 
Views:	49 
Size:	287.5 KB 
ID:	66434

You'll probably need to select the mountainous areas first and feather that selection before doing the dilate/erode steps and it's likely that you'll need a value greater than 2 to close up those valleys.
    Last edited by waldronate; 08-09-2014 at 07:51 PM.

I can find the Show climate and show image climate but I can't find show textured climate in the menu pop up window, perhaps you mean Gaia? In wich case I dunno where going to Alterate it?

I can find the Show climate and show image climate but I can't find show textured climate in the menu pop up window, perhaps you mean Gaia? In wich case I dunno where going to Alterate it?
    Textured climate has been in FT since version 3.0.3 (it's between "Show Image Climate" and "Next World"). I screwed up when specifying the UI and it tends to auto-hide some entries on the Map menu, so click on any little arrow on that menu to see all of the options.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast