Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Some fractal terrain questions

A binary world in FT keeps the file open for as long as the file is open. This behavior (and the 1GB limit) is a result of mapping the whole file into memory at once.

To keep erosion from going below sea level in Wilbur, select everything above water. Fluvial erosion stops at the edge of the selection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	508.2 KB 
ID:	66216

Here you can see what I mean .

When I eroded the surface outside I used a flat sea to not make the erosion go too down sea level and then I imported in PS , I repasted the land over the sea part , I noticed that the borders were similar so I merged and saved as new heightmap for wilbur, then I reimported and relowered theland to sea level , well the original one ... but this is the result , some areas look to have been under eroded under sea level even if by few as I couln't notice the difference in gray shading in PS .

how can I do to fix that and restore the coastlines? I tought of a mask import in wilbur to select only sea orland? but then I mgight still get weird results ...

Load (and make, if needed) a mask for the original coastlines, load that as a selection in Wilbur, and then use height clip with a minimum of about 0.01 and a maximum of 1000000.

what effect does this do?

It sets anything in the selection below 0.1 to 0.1 and anything in the selection above 1000000 to 1000000. In short, it restores the land specified by your mask.

I should apply this to land or to sea or to both?

You would select an area that represents your desired land area. Height clip with the above parameters will ensure that the selected area is land, whether it started as land or as sea. The 0.1 minimum is a convenient value that's greater than zero but still very low and the 1000000 is a large value that's likely to be above all of your existing land and so won't affect the highlands.

Yes that worked but how I do to instead sink the outside ? I shoudl invert the selection and put minimum -1000000 and max -0.1?
    mmm tried that but didn't work :p ...

Using a selection with height clip at 0.1 to 1000000 followed by invert selection and height clip with min -1000000, max -0.1 should have made everything outside of your original section ocean and everything inside your original selection land. If you have feathered your selection, the edges may be a bit funny. Consider using Select>>Modify>>Binarize with a value of 127 at the start of the above process to ensure that your selection has no feathering before you do the first height clip.

Ok thanks I did that actually but for some reason , perhaps I missed something but , I got a flat ocean .

Here in meanwhile another small issue ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	66276

why the lines do not close?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast