Thread: Continent map (fantasy) - constructive criticism appreciated!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weird. Does this one work?

EDIT: With added border lines (first approximation) and more terrain symbols. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valetas map v4.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	65816
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valetas map v3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	995.8 KB 
ID:	65815  
    Last edited by jl3141; 07-18-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Guild Member

Wow, that is a very drastic change from your initial version! But I like it a lot. It is missing the color the first one had now, which is fine if you're okay with that. If not, I would suggest giving the different countries a colored outline along the borders. It's very subtle but clearly seperates the nations. I don't know how to do it in GIMP, though. Here's an example of what I meant:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fBQ1e0y.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	65830

I can explain how I did it in Photoshop, maybe you can figure out how to do it in GIMP. I started with an ocean layer, then a white landmass layer (which I gave a black outline so it's easier to see). Then I made another layer for the black border lines:

Name:	QEw7EGE.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	65831

Then I made a seperate layer for each 'nation' or province or whatever you want colored, and started coloring them in. I wasn't worried about going over the line into the ocean, because it's easy to select the landmass, invert the selection and delete whatever's outside of it on each nation layer. Make sure the layer with the border lines is on top though, so the colors don't go over it:

Name:	Oyn3xlD.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	65832

Do this for all nations, making sure no two neighboring colors are too much alike:

Name:	CodQ4xY.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	65833

The next step is where I'm not sure how GIMP would do it. Photoshop has a function called Feathering. It takes a selection and basically dulls it, making it less jagged while also adding transparancy to the edges, depending on how much you feather it. In this case, I selected the contents of a nation's layer, feathered it 15 pixels and deleted it. It comes out as such:

Name:	uMUwLDA.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	65834

Do this for all of them and the center is completely empty, while having a fairly nice (in my opinion) colored border along the edges, setting them apart in a subtle way. Top picture is the final result. Sorry for spamming so many images, I just thought it might look nice on your map, since you had colors for each nation/section/province in your initial one. Hope it's at least a little helpful, and that GIMP has similar functions, should you wish to try this. If not, I could give it a shot for you in photoshop and send you a transparant .png for you to put on yours!

EDIT: Could you tell me what icons you used for your cities? They look really nice!
    Last edited by RazielKilsenhoek; 07-18-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Had a question