Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battle map for oriental setting (ancient China)

Guild Member

No rush on this as it isn't something I would need right away, however, you might want to consider posting it over at the RPTools forums where they will likely drool all over themselves and worship you like a god. Well maybe not that last part.
    I like the worshipping part ... but don't want those people to drool on me

Absolutely. Also make sure that the overall map scale is posted somewhere in the form of # pixels = # feet/meters/yards/whatever
    Sure, will do that.

Not a problem, I'm sure PhotoShop's selection tools can remedy that just fine on my end.
    OK. I could give it a try as well and learn a thing or two in the process.

Those are excellent!! They could easily be used for an Exalted game as well. Thank you for that link. You should definitely post that over at RPTools, or I'll do it for you if you don't want to.
    I can post that link in conjunction with the map. I'll also add the link to the FUM online store containing the Qin symbol set. In that manner, readers will get information on all available resources (character tokens, symbols of furniture/items and a map) in a single threat. Does that sound like a good plan?

MapTool seems to be an excellent piece of software. I have tested it once with the above map. And of course, I like that $0.00 price tag

Sounds like a great plan, and yes, MapTool Rocks On Toast! as I like to say.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

Here's the VTT version of the map. I had a lot of fun doing it and playing around with MapTool. It's a fantastic utility (... however, I seem to have a problem with the function "add to resource library" & need to deactivate my firewall to use it). The images include one basic map and several tiles of the upper floors and roofs. You can place them on top of each other in the background layer of MapTool (... as can be seen in the below screenshots).

This time, I imported the furniture / items (i.e. the symbols of Devin's Map Objects: Qin Dynasty) as well as the doors directly into MapTool. I also created a few tokens from the portrait images on http://kongming.net/11/portraits/ using TokenTool. It went really fast... Trevor's software is very intuitive indeed :-) Okay... I'm off to post this stuff on the RPTools forums now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QIN_A_FINAL_VTT.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	6143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAIN_BUILDING_A.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	343.3 KB 
ID:	6144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAIN_BUILDING_B.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	379.1 KB 
ID:	6145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRINE.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	6146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMITHY.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	6147  

Last edited by mogul76; 08-23-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Guild Member

And here are the stables...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STABLES.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	6148  

Great to hear and see! Thank you!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

interesting, yet I figured you would try to use a pagoda style roof, those look like shingled or clay tiled roofs.

very nice though.

Guild Member

Oh... and old post which I have only discovered now... Sorry for the late answer, CC_JAR.

I am actually quite happy with the roofs but I'm prepared to experiment

Any suggestions where to find more textures for Chinese / Asian roofs? They are difficult to find.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thank you. Your maps are great.

There are very few resources for asian themed rpgs, and these are very useful.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Is the Oriental Symbol set available anywhere?

Sorry for the cross posts, but I have one question and "Friend Computer" insists I post five times before I can ask it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12