Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: My New Terra ...

Ok , Yeh I have added other directions and the mountain ranges evolve as I keep going on eroding and bumping , reshaping and drawing ... so its goo to know that however I change those ranges they will fit still by a slight change of arrow directions so justified by possible other euler poles .

as for the North pole I placed the one in the yellow dot showed in other pictures.

the other part I will have to do is Climate , I do not want to go exceptionally detailed there but I want to know and "force" the planet to have a Mediterranean climate in my closed land basin clearly seable above .
    Also not sure if to give the planet one or two moons as thins coudl and would affect things I guess.

I also need to find out the volcanic rings and the possible Sediment locations like where gold stays , where iron , were forests , were deserts so scatter also the animals .

Finally my world is starting to take shape ... and at this point I notice that my "mediterranean sea is too big >_< ....

Anyway I have to decide now if to redo that smaller , if I can actually work only on that and then merge into the other maps or see what to do ... in meanwhile though how does it look as a semifinal geography ? how the mountain placements and shapes? how about the dimensions of inlets etc?

Notice that the coloring of the high whit areas is not precise as I have to tune down the mountain heights , the white will only be in the central massive largest masses and of few other areas so far those mountains are + 16000 m and will have to be scaled to 9000 m so all will have to be scaled consequently .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	652.4 KB 
ID:	66352

Name:	Helium_Himalaya.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	643.4 KB 
ID:	66353

Btw pixie do u know what pattern / rule should I follow to place volcanoes and large calderas?
    Last edited by Naima; 08-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Ok I think I have finally reached a shape and an arrangement I do like ... Now please give your comments, opinions , cricisism or else telling me what you think of this world map ....

After this I will move to :

1 Consider volcanic zonesa and supercalderas
    2 Consider Sea currents
    3 Consider Climates
    4 Spread vegetation and flora biomes
    5 spread possible fauna
    6 spread human races and migrations
    7 make some historical maps fun

Name:	Halium_west top.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	66401

Name:	Halium_Antarctic.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	467.7 KB 
ID:	66402

Name:	Halium_Arctic.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	808.0 KB 
ID:	66403

Name:	Halium_west top.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	66401

Name:	Halium_Oceanic.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	468.7 KB 
ID:	66404

Name:	Halium_East.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	66405

Name:	Halium_Mdeiterranean.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	66406

Hello Naima! Your planet looks great. Do you know what each color represents in altitude terms? From what I gathered by Pixie's post in Akubra's thread "In this you made a mistake I was also making in my early elevation maps. You have way too much land above 2000/3000 m. Have a look at his map - its choice of colors really makes the land above 3500 m stand out. On Earth, extreme highand happens much less than in your world. Old ranges have been eroded so much that they hardly reach the 3000m and they would also be very irregular in shape".

In the map he links in that post you can see actual elevation above 1500-2000m is not so common, so I wonder if you had that in mind.
    Last edited by groovey; 08-09-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Hi , Yes actually my heights reached 18000 m , befoure even 30000 , this is because I wanted to have enough land to erode and create erosion inside, I later depressed regions and scaled down with the maximum peak beeing 9000 by the test i did this brought up most of the land down , the mountain range in the Mediterranean like area with the dragon peninsula shoudl have a maximum height of 2000 - 3000 m the yellow mostly ranges on 500 - 1000 , where only the massive central one peak reaches 9000 m and the surroundings are at 4000 - 6000 m .
    The issue is that the coloring is made in progressive euqual steps and I am not sure if I tuned them well having set up 12 different color tones .
    Also considering that its a "fantasy Planet" I think stressed and exagered features have a good placing , like massive chasm on north , huge mountains etc . To also have more interesting zoomed in areas , without much of "flat lands" without many diverse features .

but in general yes I tought about that , to reduce most of the land down .

Ok I started to work on the Climates and for this I started from the Currents and the tutorial by Pixie , I also referenced mostly to the real world currents to get inspiration as my continental disposition is similar .

What do you think ? Opinions , corrections etc?

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	66450

Red warm currents
    azure cold currents
    black main currents

for climate I will draw according to those some very generic and large climate zones, and then mix this with the one generated by Fractal terrain , correcting it painting inside it , then I will fix some parts by adding deforestation or similar things that created deserts .

then paint the Biomes according to this chart and the fractal terrain l
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-no-legend.PNG

Name:	EnvSci_img042.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	66451
    Last edited by Naima; 08-10-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Wind maps for January

Wind maps for July
    Last edited by Naima; 08-11-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Here Are the Temperature, Rainfall and relative Climates created out of FT , they do not take into consideration the high and low pressure locations neither the wind charts above yet ...

I am not actually sure on how to combine them to get a proper climate map .

Name:	Helium5_Temperature.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	754.7 KB 
ID:	66570

Name:	Helium5_Rainfall.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	604.6 KB 
ID:	66571

Name:	Helium5_Climate.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	573.3 KB 
ID:	66572

The shallow ocean makes you oceanic current map tricky. You can't have deep current in these areas, only the current at the surface. This might impact climates but I'm not sure how exactly.
    But in general, moving large quantities of water is harder. This could limit the heat exchange between the different oceans.
    Overall, I think it's not so bad.

Thanks .
    Here is a preliminary test I am doing for painting in directly by hand the climates in the hope tomake a realistic looking fround map ....

how does that looks?

this is supposed to be a Dry area kind of like north africa

Name:	test.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	66728

The painted in areas are Sandy deserts, savannah, rocky dry mountains and fertile fields .

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast