Thread: My New Terra ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I agree with Weisse Rose. Those mountains in plate H look like an Andes type of feature (oceanic crust sinking at the border with the continent). I would make the coast close to the mountains and consider the ocean area between H and A a separate plate (it would be like Nazca plate)

I also think C and D fit just right as they are, but I strongly disagree with the place where you placed the boundaries between D, S and M. The middle of that ocean is a great place for an oceanic ridge. From the middle up is plate D (moving northward), from the middle to the south is plate S (moving southward) and plate M meets plate S at the mountains (currently within plate M).
    Plate D could also be extended eastward into plate E, and the long island exactly under the letter E would be in its boundary with T (this would almost/completely cut plate E from the ridge).

As for other obvious mid-ocean ridges (divergent boundaries). The most obvious location is right along the center of plate F. So, scrap that plate. The nothern half is fresh ocean crust part of the north polar plate (G) - which makes this the source of movement for that plate. The southern half would be part of I, L and H - this could implicate adjustments in those plates (also, it would make all of them move southwards).

Plate P also looks like a good place for a mid-ocean ridge, but I would first take this map into g.plates and find out the direction of movement for plate Q so that it fully justifies those beautiful island chains with P and with R.

..Uff, so many letters. I hope I didn't mix them up and that you can follow my descriptions.

Also, don't forget - the amount of ocean crust on both sides of a ridge is roughly the same if the continents are spreading away from the ridge. To make it asymmetrical, one of the sides must be suffering subduction (again, like Nazca plate - compare with Pacific plate)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

..Uff, so many letters. I hope I didn't mix them up and that you can follow my descriptions.

Also, don't forget - the amount of ocean crust on both sides of a ridge is roughly the same if the continents are spreading away from the ridge. To make it asymmetrical, one of the sides must be suffering subduction (again, like Nazca plate - compare with Pacific plate)

Hehe thankyou , i have yetto place names ... ...
    do u have time to show me on the. Map yuour ideas , I kind of think to understand what u mean but I am not sure what borders Nd exact locations u mean .... Also where unwould place the oceanic rifts? I tought between the A And the west but I tought that this is perhaps colliding worlds , perhaps as u say an center nazca plate could have a kind of eye shaped double dorsal?
    Last edited by Naima; 07-20-2014 at 11:26 AM.