Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

Yes, I fused the two biomes. Monsoon is also a dry forest because it's mostly the same thing.

No I forgot to use it and as I already explained, you can't get rid of the Cfc. You'll need to edit it manually if you want to change the Cfb,Cfc,Dfb transition.

I see that there is a problem here. The w climates should be : 0-5, 1-5, 2-5, 0-4, 1-4 and 0-3 , but not 1-3

About Siberia, we will see what the results will be but they could become Dw something. Normally, it should be Df something but since my rain model is simplistic, southern Siberia is drier than what it's supposed to be. Maybe I will change the instruction regarding the placement of the pink layer.

Actually, the Cfc should be possible to remove via temperature map editing. The regions that turned into Cfc climates had "Cool" winter (Yellow) and "Mild" Summer (Peach). If one ensures that this temperature combination doesn't turn up, then Cfc climates should not appear. Anyway, what I did should replace Cfc partly with Dfb, partly with Cfb (although I left several islands as Cfc). Of course this could be done manually, but it's also possible to eliminate Cfc via temperature map changes. Also, I did change a few other areas too that I felt were in the wrong temperature category. For example, in the extreme south there is a Tundra->Dfb transition, I edited the temperature maps so there should now be a narrow band of Dfc between the tundra and the Dfb.

w climates: Ok, so the Dwb was a bit of an anomaly then. Although I guess it should still appear since I increased the summer precipitations in Neraduhr (there's now a large area of lvl 4).

Edit: Fixed my typo with the southern D climates (originally wrote "C" instead of D).
    Last edited by Charerg; 02-01-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Mild and cool is the only combo for Cc and even then, some Cfb also fit in it. For example, London and Reykjavik are in the same combination, one is at the lowest values possible and the other is closer to the maximum values.
    For now, I prefer to let keep Cfc and add more information about it.

Ok, i did patch one color that was miscategorized but for the rest, there isn't much i can do. Else it will turn a lot of forests in America and Russia to Dwb/Dwc.

While I don't see any Cfb->tundra transition, there is some Dfb->tundra and it would be better with a Dfc in between.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-01-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Yeah, I guess the dicciculty is in classification. In some areas (like the extreme north) level 3 rain would realistically probably be pretty much the maximum value outside of islands and coasts. So the scale runs effectively from 0-3 in those latitudes rather than from 0-5 like in the tropical latitudes. Close to the tundra region even 0-2 could potentially be a "w" climate, but probably not in tropical areas.

Yet the same classification needs to cover both areas. And the tropical areas are probably more significant, since Df and Dw have (broadly speaking), similar vegetation and animal life (since winter is never a growing season in the north, regardless of whether it rains or not). As such, for fantasy mapping it's perhaps a bit unnecessary to classify D climates that accurately, although I find it interesting personally.

The thing is that in real life, the category 0 can have precipitations as low as 0. Literally meaning that if the precipitations in summer are greater than 0, it's going to be w something. But by using the average of 5 instead, we eliminate a bunch of them and put them in f instead.

Yes, the impact of f/s/w on D climates is somewhat less critical than with hotter climates: especially with Dc and Dd climates. Anyway, the population of the Dd in pre-industrial times would be very close to 0. The whole of Siberia had a ridiculously low population density, with most people packed on the southernmost part.

EDIT: And here is my latest version of the biomes: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biomes.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	79769

I'm still undecided as to whether the scrubland should be a specific biome or not.
    Btw, have you finished with the modifications you talked about?
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-02-2016 at 12:44 AM.

I thought I was finished, but I did spot a few areas that could be improved a little. Namely the eastern portion of the northeastern continent (Rheada), which transitions straight from the dry climates into Df or Cw climates, even though this area roughly resembles Manchuria, so there should be a narrow fringe of Dw climates between the steppes and the coastal Df climates. I think the summer temperatures in the area were a bit too high in general. I tried to increase the summer rains in the eastern portion of the continent to reduce the dry areas somewhat, some Dwa should turn up now.

I guess the area could be tuned manually, but in case you haven't run the script yet, these are the (hopefully) final temperature and precipitation maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jan precipitations.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	573.1 KB 
ID:	79772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jul precipitations.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	553.5 KB 
ID:	79773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jan temp.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	462.6 KB 
ID:	79774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aduhr jul temp.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	79775  
    Last edited by Charerg; 02-02-2016 at 05:43 AM.

If this is not the last test, for the next time, could you change the purple for deadly cold? The color is a bit off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test14.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	602.2 KB 
ID:	79787

Looking at the climate map, I believe the map has now reached a level of accuracy that it can be considered "final", apart from minor adjustments that are best done manually. Once again, many thanks, without your assistance it wouldn't have been possible to make this many tests with different temperature and precipitation maps!

Overall, the climates seem pretty "balanced" now, the amount of Af looks realistic (apart from a few weird instances that will have to be fixed manually). One minor criticism is that Am seems to be pretty rare, although I guess it's not that common on Earth either. But the Am transition zone can be manually added between Af and Aw now that those two are ok. Btw, did you adjust the steppes manually, or are the ones appearing on the map script-generated?

Am is about as common as they are in real life since it' a transition area.

I adjusted the steppes manually and it should be ok.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Azelor, what scale did you use for precipitations? I want to try my hand at defining biomes with the maps I've already made, but I don't think guessing the scale you used will do me any good

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast