Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

i think one mitigating circumstance that some maps will have is something that i have. the ocean currents that are arriving in indonesia are especially warm because both the cold currents from the north and south american coast are exceedingly far away from where those currents arrive at the australian and indonesian continental shelves. on a fantasy map im working on however while i have a long stretch of ocean between 2 southern continents i have a northern continent between them, this northern continent's cold current will mix with the equatorial current that eventually reaches the eastern coast of the western continent and will cool the current to a sufficient degree that i dont think it would cause this walker circulation to a degree noticeable enough that i need to track the pressure zone created there.

i think its a case where earth is actually performing stranger climatological phenomenon than fiction.
    Last edited by arch-fiend; 05-25-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Like Africa, it does get in the way of the equatorial current.

i think its a case where earth is actually performing stranger climatological phenomenon than fiction.
    Not necessarily. We know more about the climate of Earth than of a fictional world because we can observe it but there are things we do not understand.
    It's hard to tell how things will change if you change the variables.

For the temperatures in part 2 of section 5 (at https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post285140), there's no indicator for Hot Currents in the summer or Continental+ in the Winter. Is there a reason for this, and what values should those zones/latitudes be associated with?

Quote Originally Posted by Coggleton View Post
    For the temperatures in part 2 of section 5 (at https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post285140), there's no indicator for Hot Currents in the summer or Continental+ in the Winter. Is there a reason for this, and what values should those zones/latitudes be associated with?
    It's just like the normal temperatures.

Ah, I see. With that, I've finished up a tentative sea-level temperature map for January and July using the same color guide suggested earlier, but I've noticed a couple issues:

- There are places where there are drastic jumps in temperature ranges, such as from blue to yellow or orange to peach. While I imagine these would need the missing temperatures in between them, how think should I expect these ranges to be? Would I connect them with similar temperature regions that occur closer to the poles?
    - How thick should the temperature influence zones due to ocean currents be?
    - Would these changes be best implement before or after I account for elevation?

Thank you.

January:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suru_jan_temps.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	123294

July:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suru_july_temps.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	123295

Quote Originally Posted by Coggleton View Post
    - There are places where there are drastic jumps in temperature ranges, such as from blue to yellow or orange to peach. While I imagine these would need the missing temperatures in between them, how think should I expect these ranges to be? Would I connect them with similar temperature regions that occur closer to the poles?
    Yes, you need a transition zone. If the gradient is strong the bands will be thinner.

- How thick should the temperature influence zones due to ocean currents be?
    It depends on the direction of the winds. If it's blowing directly inland, it could spread for several hundred of kilometres.
    If it blows in the opposite direction, then the effect is limited to coastal areas.

Question

Hey, is your temperature chart based on a mathematical model, or is it purely empirical data? I would be interested in automating the process of temperature determination to make it less tedious and hopefully more precise than what we're doing manually so far. If you know of any interesting research papers or models on that subject, that would be of great help! Alternatively, if anybody else has already tried that, I'd be happy to hear about it.

It's empirical. But the relationship between precipitations and temperatures that gives the aridity uses maths.
    Azurewings might have a mathematical model but I don't know of any unless one where the planet is made with a uniform surface, with an uniform albedo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquareRootOf2 View Post
    If you know of any interesting research papers or models on that subject, that would be of great help! Alternatively, if anybody else has already tried that, I'd be happy to hear about it.
    I have thrown together a temperature generator, but instead of an expert systems/analytical approach I just built a neural net classifier for temperature bands that takes the elevation map as input and outputs January and July temperature band maps. I haven't put it out publicly on Github or anything yet because 1) it's pretty slow still (takes ~45 minutes to run on a 4000x2000 image) and 2) I wasn't sure under what conditions I'm allowed to distribute the training dataset I trained the classifier on (that's become more clear recently, but I'm somewhat novice at all the license details and so I've been reluctant to proceed).

There's also a software program called Clima-Sim, from Weather Graphics, which is aimed for simulating Earth but can apparently also be finagled to work for other arbitrary geographies and lets you edit a variety of relevant variables including axial tilt and so on. From what little I know about it it actually crunches a bunch of the equations to compute climatological predictions given those input items. That said, it's not free and I don't know all that much about it in detail, and it might be tricky to use in the sense of requiring a lot of climatological knowledge to get the best results. You can search it online if you're curious about it.
    Last edited by AzureWings; 06-15-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquareRootOf2 View Post
    Hey, is your temperature chart based on a mathematical model, or is it purely empirical data? I would be interested in automating the process of temperature determination to make it less tedious and hopefully more precise than what we're doing manually so far. If you know of any interesting research papers or models on that subject, that would be of great help! Alternatively, if anybody else has already tried that, I'd be happy to hear about it.
    I have done some work on a mathematical model for temperature here. I took a lot of inspiration and knowledge from this thread but I'm not using GIMP or PS to do the actual work, so there would have to be some tweaks. But I've found this gives a reasonable baseline for temperature and a smoother, more precise transition between zones. Exact numbers can also help if for whatever reason you're interested in the temperatures at other times of the year and yearly precipitation/temperature values. I hope this helps somewhat!

Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast