Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Köppen–Geiger climate classification made simpler (I hope so)

I'm a dense person, but even I can follow what your saying in step 5, so that's an achievement for both you and me.

Interesting, will you edit the currents step then? To reflect the new toughts, or is not necessary?
    Last edited by groovey; 10-30-2015 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    From what I understand, you are advocating a more refined mapping of influences, and then use them to adjust a general temperature rule based on latitude. Pretty much the same system as before, is this right?

As for Western Australia, I looked it up - and here's what I found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeuwin_Current
    I would say this return current is formed only in Australia because the continent doesn't block the incoming equatorial current from the Pacific, which, on top of it all, is pushed southwards by Indonesia/Borneo. West Australia is the only continental west coast without a cold current with upwelling and it is the only neighbouring a east-west through.

My logic and limited oceanography knowledge wouldn't let me predict this either, but it really makes sense (and I shall be updating my currents map accordingly )
    Yes, It's probably very similar to the previous version but also different.

So I guess it make sense for Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by groovey View Post
    I'm a dense person, but even I can follow what your saying in step 5, so that's an achievement for both you and me.

Interesting, will you edit the currents step then? To reflect the new toughts, or is not necessary?
    I didn't knew this expression... Glad to hear it's not too complicated but it's not over yet.
    I don't understand, is there something wrong with the currents?

I'm almost done with the influence/temperature part. I just need to write it properly and provide some images for each steps.

Then, it will be the precipitation part, that I've already started but I got a couple of things to sort out. The model is not too complicated, for the moment.

With the currents I meant... well I'll be damned, I can't find the exact text that made me ask that question.

I would swear I read somewhere in one of your latest posts how the currents we got with the currents step weren't always the right color/general temperature, because other factors influenced them. But I can't find it so never mind.

And by the way, the climate in A Song Of Ice and Fire makes no sense at all indeed, "it's magic". I was a bit dissapointed when I researched that and found out.

EDIT: a-ha! Found it.

"Colors of the currents appear to be a poor indicator to determine the impact on temperature.

Polar currents are cold (including everything between the poles and 66°) , including currents flowing toward the equator if they have been mixed with polar waters.
    Equatorial currents are hot, including those flowing toward the poles from the equator.
    Mid latitudes currents are mild, including those flowing toward the poles and the equator. The Gulf stream is an exception : it hasn't cooled enough to be considered hot"
    Last edited by groovey; 11-05-2015 at 04:55 AM.

Ok, I see now. Yes, I don't know if I should change that. I start saying that equatoward currents are cold and then tell that they can be mild or hot is some cases. That might not make a lot of sense.
    Perhaps I should just say it's mild because of x,y,z... in the first place?

To be more specific, we should use a gradient (or a map just like for the land temperature) for the water temperature from 0 to 30... something (although surface temperatures at sea level near Antarctica are much colder). That could be doable I guess.

I'd say editing the currents step would be due only if being more specific with the currents temperatues/colors makes it faster, easier and/or more precise to figure out climate, if it doesn't help much I'd say keeping the indications in mind would suffice.

Blog Entries

Hi, I don't have idea about climates, but I'm interested in them. I'm following this thread!

Greetings and thanks for start this discussion.

Still haven't edited the current part but I will keep it in mind.

About the precipitation: I got a model, but haven't tested it much to see if it's good.

Quite simple at its roots (until I have to add a bunch of exceptions)

Here's a map to give an overview. It's a nice map to visualize:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	determine rain 1.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	77499

So, by combining several already made map (pressure and winds) we can estimate what regions will be wet and those that are expected to be dry. (The map is probably imprecise over the oceans due to a lack of information)
    Basically, High pressure are dry as well as the winds coming from them. Shown in white on the map
    The opposite, Low are wet. Shown as green on the map.

But not all High are dry and not all Low are wet.
    H: the eastern and poleward sides are prone to storms due to the mixing of hot and cold air.
    L: can be dry when too far from the water (Central Asia) or when blocked by mountains (Patagonia) or when receiving dry air (Somalia)

Now I can guess what place are wet/dry but I still need to figure out the approximate guidelines. (effect of altitude, distances...)

Guild Artisan

An advice for precipitation.
    I have created a (simplified) model but can tell you that you won't get any realistic values if you don't work in 3 dimensions.
    E.g the vertical movements of air are paramount.
    The reason for that is that the lapse rate for saturated air such as what exists at ocean surface is about 6°C/km what is huge.
    For example if you move 30°C saturated air only 3 km higher like what happens in the Hadley cell at equator, you lower its temperature to 12°C. And that means that you obtain for a single m^3 of deplaced air some 3 mm of precipitation on 1 m˛. Now multiply by the flow rate of air and you'll see what it gives.
    With a 5 k mountain it is even more dramatic.
    The vertical movements of saturated air have a much stronger impact on precipitations than horizontal movements which are rarely working with air mass temperature differentials like 15-25°C.

I know about the orographic lift. That's why Iran is not completely a desert.

Or does it have something to do with the western disturbances?

Guild Artisan

Orographic lift is only a small part of the vertical air mass movements because it's localized. Monsoon precipitation regimes are another local example which are also driven by the vertical circulation.
    However what is by far the biggest part is the circulation in Hadley and Ferrel cells (ITCZ and around 50° - 60°). It is in those bands that most precipitations take place due to the massive adiabatic cooling of the rising air masses.

Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast