Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] Skygate

Painting this city in a bird's-eye view would be pretty awesome.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

ha ok now I understand. It make sense if other cities need to use this canal to access the ocean as well.

One thing you might want to consider now, so it doesn't give you a headache down the track: geologically, there is a problem with your city's location. It is very unusual, possibly impossible, for rivers to enter the sea via a waterfall. The reason is simple enough: where water goes, it channels out canyons for itself. I'm not trying to create problems for you, but alert you to a problem you may encounter later.

If, however, the type of stone on which Skygate sits is particularly hard, it will erode less, and so you'll have less to worry about (you will, I think, have to include some valley formation--unless you aren't bothered about being super-realistic, which is completely understandable--but I think cities on perfectly flat planes are boring anyway, and a bit of topography makes them more interesting). Might I suggest volcanic activity in the region, in the near or distant past?

Good luck with it. It looks like an interesting project.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Indeed I do @Ilanthar! And each will have a name, tunnels built into the side for teams of creatures to haul ships through to the next lock, and more.

By the way, Argona was a primary source of inspiration for this campaign map, so it's really awesome seeing you here. Thanks for the fantastic map!

In this instance the canal is about 5,100ft long. If the largest ships allowed to enter were about 140ft, each lock could be 200ft, allowing an average of 25 locks that would each raise a ship on average 8ft to go from the ocean lock up 200ft.

By FlatFoot
    And each will have a name, tunnels built into the side for teams of creatures to haul ships through to the next lock, and more.
    That sounds pretty cool! Is the canal two-ways? It could be double-lock, with one side getting full and the other one getting empty.

By the way, Argona was a primary source of inspiration for this campaign map, so it's really awesome seeing you here. Thanks for the fantastic map!
    I'm flattered, and you're welcome I Hope I would be able to help as I have been for Argona!

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Painting this city in a bird's-eye view would be pretty awesome.
    That would be pretty awesome, might have to consider that at some point ;]

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    ha ok now I understand. It make sense if other cities need to use this canal to access the ocean as well.
    Cool! Yeah, many captains elect to pay for passage through the canal for safety and time efficiency. Maybe one day I'll do a map of the whole continent, but for now it'll just be the city of Skygate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    One thing you might want to consider now, so it doesn't give you a headache down the track: geologically, there is a problem with your city's location. It is very unusual, possibly impossible, for rivers to enter the sea via a waterfall. The reason is simple enough: where water goes, it channels out canyons for itself. I'm not trying to create problems for you, but alert you to a problem you may encounter later.

If, however, the type of stone on which Skygate sits is particularly hard, it will erode less, and so you'll have less to worry about (you will, I think, have to include some valley formation--unless you aren't bothered about being super-realistic, which is completely understandable--but I think cities on perfectly flat planes are boring anyway, and a bit of topography makes them more interesting). Might I suggest volcanic activity in the region, in the near or distant past?
    I absolutely agree. That's my next challenge to tackle. I didn't count much on elevation differences on the plateau during the initial concept, but now that I'm actually making it, I realize how boring it is without, and that the river would make some sort of deviations. I will incorporate elevations for sure, but perhaps not anything too drastic for the time being. There is a magical component to why the ocean cliff exists like this, but that will be introduced a bit later. I also don't want to solve everything with, "Magic did it!" haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    That sounds pretty cool! Is the canal two-ways? It could be double-lock, with one side getting full and the other one getting empty.
    I'm flattered, and you're welcome I Hope I would be able to help as I have been for Argona!
    I'm dabbling with the idea of double-locks. I think I will, though the narrative potential of only one ship up at a time is interesting. But honestly I'm leaning heavily towards double-lock system. I love the idea of looking down at the canal at any given time and seeing lock-15 occupied in full by a massive galleon, while lock-3 is bringing up a small fleet of fishing boats. Obviously the system can only work one way, so the city has set times of when the canal allows access up, then down.

Unfortunately my hard drive bit the dust. I managed to get my files off safely, but it's going to take a few days before I'm back up and running. Will be working on written content for my campaign in the midterm. Hopefully see you all soon with an update!

Sh... happens ! Especially a technical crash. I'm a bit of a paranoid with my multiple saving files... Hope to see your next update (btw, you're gonna enjoy the work with a better machine, aren't you?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12