Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shreeve of Shrivenshire

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Hi J.Edward - you might have written it elsewhere but I've been away for a while ... I wonder about your medium of choice? .. pencil on paper?.. how about the houses, simple ruler or do you make those in the computer instead?. how about coloring? Really love your style, and definitely share your love for those landscaping drawings.
    Thanks Tilt
    Well, I used to really enjoy doing my maps - pencil on paper - and then if I liked it I would then ink it.
    Then I started doing more commissioned maps and time became a factor, as did precision and ability to make changes and try other options.
    So I got to doing a lot more of my work straight digitally.
    So this map is a redrawing of a pencil sketch but all redrawn in PS.
    No ruler, just freehand buildings. It gets easier the more you do it.
    There's also a training exercise to work in the hand-eye and muscle memory thing.
    It was a free Gnomon course thing I did a few years back. It helped a lot.

For coloring, almost exclusively PS. It's hard to beat the options and the layers and undo and all that.
    I go back every so often and do some pencil sketching and occasionally some ink drawings but have had so little time lately.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing
    I thought you'd colored in PS, made sense, both with the multitude of options and the layers and undo ... I was thinking of starting of on paper with the lite challenge this month - never been much of an illustrator though, so its normally hard to be up against those who can actually draw ... but sketching on paper and then finishing of in PS makes sense to me as well, and I think I can get some more freedom in my map by starting outside the computer.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    I thought you'd colored in PS, made sense, both with the multitude of options and the layers and undo ... I was thinking of starting of on paper with the lite challenge this month - never been much of an illustrator though, so its normally hard to be up against those who can actually draw ... but sketching on paper and then finishing of in PS makes sense to me as well, and I think I can get some more freedom in my map by starting outside the computer.
    I've found that to be true.
    The screen, to some degree, limits how I think and/or what I think about when sketching.
    The freer nature of pencil and paper is hard to beat. Go anywhere, draw anywhere.
    After I scan in the image, I'll usually set it to multiply and paint on layers beneath it [so long as paper is white - not off-white or cream, which will become too dark as multiply].
    I really need to do some pencil sketching soon - which is just about right, as it's warming up outside, and I need some sun.

Huh. I've missed a bit of progress on this one. Very nice.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I love your fields in the original - coming from farm country, they look homey to me, though I do find myself wondering what exactly they're growing in the orangish ones. I like how you have houses/buildings between every few fields, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Huh. I've missed a bit of progress on this one. Very nice.
    Thank you. Always appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldersprig View Post
    I love your fields in the original - coming from farm country, they look homey to me, though I do find myself wondering what exactly they're growing in the orangish ones. I like how you have houses/buildings between every few fields, too.
    Hey Aldersprig
    Thanks. I put a lot into fields and forests. I'm quite fond of them irl so I bring them into maps when I can.
    I'm origianllay from central PA, but moved a lot. I used to hike up in NY state when I lived in northern NJ.
    Beautiful land up there. Some of my favorites hikes. No doubt I bring in my north-eastern US influences into my maps.
    I throw in a bit of English and European farm/field influences too.
    Need to get more familiar with other types. I want to do some step farms and hill farms.
    I used to live in the caribbean and got to see some crazy farms and villages perched precariously on the sides of hills that would be fun to map.

The orangish would probably be some flowers that they derive an oil from the seeds. Maybe they also use them for dyes and fragrance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234