Thread: Tinker Widow's WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Next Update!

Next update - started furnishing the Pantry, Kitchen and Living Room.

Since the widow's husband was a tinker, I thought he had been experimenting with ducted heating from the cellar furnace to rooms without a primary heat source. So that vent on the floors of the dining room, and two side rooms are thus equipped. (The pantry should stay cooler so no vent in there...)

I usually create castles, dungeons and other dark settings. I wanted to play with a relatively mundane home - so that's why I'm attempting this map. As well as wanting to participate in the FHCO project in a small way!

In retrospect, if I changed some of the furnishings, this would make a great fantasy tavern map.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinker-widow.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	894.0 KB 
ID:	6149  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-23-2008 at 08:15 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Looks really lovely, GP - I really like the flagstone floor. Just one point though, the house looks well posh considering it belongs to a tinker's widow! Presumably she has some other means of support to afford such comparative luxury?

I should let GP answer, but Lemur and I were looking at the Tinker goodness just now, and so, since we wrote the tell which GP is doing such a wonderful job of bringing to life, we'll jump in.
    The widow is endowed with the FHCO's creation of the Silent Voice of Yelping, and is quite powerful and talented with it. She can work metal and minerals as well as stone, so she earns a nice bit of coin endowing the things she repairs or makes with special properties, like never dull shears, never snap plows and so on,,,,,or that is how it goes in the FHCO realm. Originally it was so the FHCO could improve their stuff and learn about cost and value,,,,as in understand coin in Snap and relate it to the real world,,,namely when I take them shopping. And to show that women are also important parts of society who can fill non traditional roles (as it were said by one FHCO that "makin thins is for guys, cookin thins is for girls")
    She does it under the radar of the Seven Families, mostly for the opposing group , the basically good folk, or Good Sorts, who are in Snap to counter the influence of the Seven Families. Hebbie sends a good bit of work and coin her way, as does Cagil and Nope, when they need something extra special.
    (I really got to finish transcribing the tell, and polish their pdf)

She is also known to be the one to turn too if the plow you bought off of the back of a Carter's Wagon late one night, after a few, or six, too many Ales, breaks the first time you cut turf with it.
    Leaving you plowed, plowless, and penniless, with your four Cask Belly Hammers which pull your plow, fat, happy, and headed down the rode to Threeways,,,,
    As she is quite the charitable sort. Or that is where she found herself appearing in the tale of the Mid Harvest Fest....(which is typed, ooh wee), and grew from there.

She takes in work, closes the door to the shop, does her yelping, and then makes a racket to have it sound like she does it in the traditional manner....

That's basically it. In the world of Snap, if you were a good sort, had some coin, you could upgrade the old sword that fits your hand so well just by visiting the Tinker's Widow...

Ohh yes, Lemur says it's very pretty, verrry, verrry pretty.
    SeerBlue and Lemur
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Post Its a slippery slope!

Its a slippery slope - I want to give evidence that the Tinker's Widow has some material wealth, yet I want to insure that her house is still humble, at least from the outside. The home, located over the Tinker's shop, had to be of expected dimension for such a structure and not an extravagant one.

I would think if the widow doesn't have much local family she invites friends and guests to sup with her, as I see her as somewhat gregarious as a host and enjoys opportunities to be one, to minimize her loneliness as a widow.

To the good sorts, she would become their unofficial grandmother, and recognized as a leader of sorts, from the point of view of the seven families (in opposition to theirs).

I thought some nice furniture, china flatware and lace would not be too extravagant, yet denote some level of lifetime wealth.

I want to have some fun on the Tinker's Shop and hidden Yelping Chamber next!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations