Thread: [WIP] - Dorasharn - The Forgotten Forge - Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The same question is also in my mind these days. If I was in your group I'd vote for keeping the maps. Other than than their aesthetic value in my opinion they allow for many specific tactics.

edit: I did not mean to hijack the thread in a different direction. I just like d&d ;d

Guild Journeyer

no worries avengeil - its been on my thoughts lately.

I am thinking - yes- the old school "theater of the mind" is awesome - thats how i started playing and it has a million and one merits to it. HOWEVER - with programs, like gimp, can make it possible for amateurs, like me, to knock out a cool map in less time than it takes to play on said map - not to mention that this is the video game generation, if WOTC wants to keep the up and coming masses entertained - then they may need to stay up to date with technology. of course i may be biased since i play 90% on a virtual tabletop vs RL. I think maybe in the next couple years this whole "back to the golden age of RPG'ing" may lose a bit of its glamour and they'll be producing maps, tiles, and miniatures as they did with 4th. only time will tell :-D
    Check out my work in high-res on Deviant Art - HERE!

@Avengeil
    @Kennyt

Just going to give some fellow Guildmembers a slight plug here: If you want a great way to bang out a simple dungeon map, Grid Cartographer by David Walters (aka Hidden Asbestos) is a fantastic program for that. You can check out his update thread here on the Guild at this link. Another great site is drow's donjon. There are some fantastic generators there, including:
    • Random Generators for...
    Last edited by jkat718; 08-03-2014 at 12:46 AM.