Quote Originally Posted by Philtros View Post
As I have said earlier, this is the first city map I ever made, so I still have a lot to learn, especially about «scaling» stuff! As you both pointed out!

So here's what I'm going to try:
- Diminish the ships and temples.
- Make each of the individual houses bigger.

And thanks for the encouragements!!
Glad to have some help on the project!
I like the way you scaled your fonts

I think in your response to me above you indicated that you would add a scale at the end; one piece of advice I'd give (and I'm no experienced cartographer by any means) is to decide on a scale almost the first thing when planning a map. Scale is embedded in everything, so if the scale needs to change later its usually not a quick fix. You might even next draw the largest feature so you can use that as a guide to the size of everything else.

Here's a specific suggestion which you might take or leave: You could just shrink the size of your temples, but preserve everything else. What I mean is, right now the temples sit on "grounds" that are walled off or moated off from the rest of the city. But the grounds can be huge - the temple may be imposing not only because it is big but also because it is distant - one has to cross a lot of territory to reach them. Once you've shrunk the temples you have even more room to do interesting things on the grounds - gardens, fountains, man-made lakes, guard towers, statues - which might further define the specialness of these regions.