Thread: [WIP] "Proudly" presenting Westfall

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [WIP] "Proudly" presenting Westfall

Hello, Cartographer's Guild! I'm new here. I think this is my first post ever, though I've lurked a bit on and off over the years. I'm getting ready to start a D&D campaign for the new edition (5e) and I'm taking the time while they publish all the books to do some serious world building.

I would like to take a moment to thank all of you. This community is pretty amazing and all of the free guidance/tutorials here are simply awe-inspiring.

I want to share my (very rough/WIP) continent map of "Westfall", which I've used a few tutorials I found here or linked from here to create. Be gentle; I'm far from done. But please, by all means, offer advice if you feel you can contribute or help me out. I'm a complete noob in both GIMP and art in general, so this is really my first go at something like this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...UFU&authuser=0
    (I can't figure out the upload thing, so I have to post an external link unfortunately. It keeps saying it's done, but nothing shows up.)

There it is, in all its... glory? Anyway, I've quite a ways to go. I desperately need to darken up the coast so it's more readable. I would like to add some sort of "wavy" effect around the coast, and I still need to add forests, cities, roads, labels, etc. I spent half the day today working on this, mostly because I'm brand new, but I think I made decent progress for my first project. Most of this was hand drawn, with GIMP to touch it up. I used tutorials from RobA (coastlines and "parchment") and fantasticmaps.com (mountains).

Comment away!
    Last edited by burfl; 08-20-2014 at 11:04 PM.