Thread: GIMP Converting rough heights to smooth altitudes

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Help GIMP Converting rough heights to smooth altitudes

I've been playing with GIMP, using RobA's fabulous tutorials, and enjoying it very much. I am trying to do a large-scale (continent-plus) map in roughly the style he describes.

I used FT3 to create a very nice heightmap, ranging from high peaks to deep oceans, all exported using flat colors for each level. To select each level, I've just used the "select > color" tool, and have created a layer for each such colored level. Thus I have layers ranging from "Abyss" and "Deeps" to "Peaks" and "Snowcaps." I know, from RobA, how to use any one or more of these to produce masks that can be applied selectively, and so forth.

Now what I want to do is to set a height level, which I believe for land needs to be 0 (low) to 1 (high), with an appropriate number for each layer, and then normalize or smooth or whatever across all of this. Then I can apply a gradient color green, and then do it again only at the higher levels and do it more brown, and so forth.

But somehow, I can't figure out how to achieve this.

I am hoping to use the Bevel or Emboss Distort effect, which (when I've gotten it to work) does produce beautifully sharp-edged high mountain ridges.

I also don't grasp at what point to apply noise if I only want to roughen the textures without significantly altering the heightmap.

Last but not least, I've seen tutorials that suggest ways to impart nice lighting effects to get the mountains to glow as if lit from the northwest, but these are for PS and don't seem to apply very well to GIMP, though I admit that I haven't fought with this part all that much.

Many thanks!

[Note: I'd be happy to upload the FT3-rendered JPEG, but I'm away from my computer on my iPad and don't have access at the moment.]

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

UPDATE: Would RobA's script for gradients help with this? It seems as though it ought to....
    Last edited by CAgrippa; 09-17-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Messed up URL

Silly question: wouldn't just saving the height field directly out of FT3 as something like a PNG let you work with it in the GIMP? Then you'd have all of the detail in the FT3 image directly in your PNG.

Guild Novice
    Blog Entries

Oh. Would it? I'll check when I get home -- that would certainly be nice. <sigh> So much to learn!

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Gimp and Height maps do not mix well
    The gimp is only 8 bit
    ( gimp 3.0 will handle 16 and 32 bit images)

That means there is ONLY 256 tones ( 0,255)
    that will give you a DEM / normalmap that is STEPPED
    you NEED to use at least a 16 bit image !!!

A 16 bit image has 65536 tones
    Ushort / Unsigned = 0 to 65535
    Short / Signed = -32767 to 32766
    or a 32 bit floating-point image ( normally 0 to 1 with 32 decimal places )

i use different software to make a 32 bit floating point or 16 bit Unsigned "Noise" image "FBM" is one i like also segmentation of triangles works to get the original height map
    then use some custom software to convert that to a NormalMap that will render Correctly on a sphere

Now what I want to do is to set a height level, which I believe for land needs to be 0 (low) to 1 (high), with an appropriate number for each layer, and then normalize or smooth or whatever across all of this. Then I can apply a gradient color green, and then do it again only at the higher levels and do it more brown, and so forth.
    for that i would use "G'Mic" a terminal based image lib
    -- you WILL need to build the current source code to reenable 16 bit output
    G'MIC - GREYC's Magic for Image Computing: An Open and Full-Featured Framework for Image Processing

it sounds ( " 0 (low) to 1 (high) " ) like you have a 32 bit height map
    for use in gimp
    renormalize the different color layers ( deep sea to land ) .Normalize them to 0 to 255
    and save as a 8 bit char image

then use gimp to colorize them

Gimp has a handy built in "colorize" tool that dose a great job

Gimp > "colors / map / sample colorize"
    just have the black and white and the color one open