Thread: Igris River Valley

Default Igris River Valley

Yey, my first map upload!

Ok, so, the whole thing was done by hand with ink pen and on paper. Its 20x20 inches so I had to take a photo of it to upload it. Sorry for the dim lighting. Anyway.

What you have before you is my first map. There are some issues with it but unfortunately with ink pens, you don't get second chances. The map displays the cradle of human civilization on my little world. It's called the Igris River Valley. It displays about 1/100 of the total landmass of my world. The valley is located just above the edge of Sub Tropic climate so to the south, it gets pretty hot and arid. The valley itself is densely forested because we're looking at the time of human development roughly equivalent to the Mesoptamia, long before any empire took control over the region. Except for the two names of the major rivers, the names are placeholders. The map is intended for my book.

Ok, that about sums it up, so here goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Igris River Valley.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	70677

Oh yah, and sorry for the crappy photoshop job. I CBA cutting the edges smooth.
    A map must contain the following four elements: Title, Author, Scale and Orientation. It should also contain these two elements: Date and Legend. Without these, it's just a piece of paper with something on it.

Cool. I like the ink on paper media. That's been mine of choice so far.

I like the hills within the woods. That's a nice blend
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

Not that I am an expert in non-digital drawing (or even in digital-only drawing)... but as far as I have seen, the way to go with ink drawings is: sketch first, ink after.

But beyond that: that is a really good map!

The issues with the map are because I was trying to be illustrative. In the bottom left, The Desolate Reach, is supposed to be a desert, and I didn't want to use dots to illustrate it because they'd end up being orderly and also hard to make the same size. So then I wanted to make the grassy areas look like grass and well, it looks stupid. And I knew immediately it was gonna but at that point, I decided it would be better to have the map uniform (and overly busy) rather than have one element somewhere and then not anywhere else. Thanks though. I appreciate the feedback.
    A map must contain the following four elements: Title, Author, Scale and Orientation. It should also contain these two elements: Date and Legend. Without these, it's just a piece of paper with something on it.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Very nice work! Hand drawn maps are always fun to look at.
    I think your forests work very well, and the overall layout looks great and natural. This might just be a personal thing but I feel the mountains are disproportional. The forests and trees look like they tower over the mountains. If these are supposed to be just hills than I think they should have been rounded out more.
    But that is such a minor thing I don't think it takes away from the map as a whole.
    All in all very successful!

Cheers
    Capt.JH

Thanks. I noticed that too. No they are mountains, and the ones to the north are quite tall too. When I saw it at the end I decided that Im going to say its a stylized map, (which it is anyway) because things are not to scale, they are more of a ... indication of there being something. I will be redoing the map in Photoshop as soon as I learn how to control that pad properly, so hopefully I will eliminate that problem.