Thread: Back to Moonfall

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Back to Moonfall

Some of you might remember my "Moonfall" map from a few months ago as my first 'proper' world map. Now, real life does come up with the strangest coincidences. I work at a really intellectually unchallenging position. So unchallenging, in fact, that I've become somewhat afraid that if I do not force my mind to work on non-work related topics I'm going to end up with brain rot some time in the future. All of you who tend to make their money working menial tasks: you know how it is.

Anyway, I colleague of mine shares my pen & paper hobby, and to stave off our eventual mental desintegration ( ) we decided to create our own home-brewn RPG system, rules and setting and all. And what does a setting need? Right, a map. So I've been taking the ideas thrown around in the original Moonfall threads here and on DeviantArt to flesh out Moonfall as a post-apocalyptic, post-transhuman, DnD-meets-Steampunk-meets-Cyberpunk-meets-horrible abominations on Mars setting.

What I've done so far is finetuning the shape of the landmass to take it away a bit from the original map through changing, if ever so slightly, the coastlines, adding islands, placing new rivers directly into the landmass rather than painting them on it and adding a large number of cliffs and Arizona-desert like locales.

The central San Andreas fault-like rift was added to address the tectonic stress that would undoubtedly occur by such a sudden and outer force-induced axis shift. Now, I know it's most likely everything but scientifically accurate, but I believe it's a nice feature nonetheless.

I initially wanted to use custom-drawn mountains all the way (also to avoid the clustering you get in the central massif) but my drawing skills simply were not up to the task. I've been able to modify most and expand some mountains slightly. Most exceptionally large mountains are largely hand-drawn. However, the majority uses brushes I found (I think) on DA, but I do no longer know from whom I downloaded them.

State of the project:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moonfall_progress_upload_by_stratomunchkin-d8gvvl6.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	70635

Starting point:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moonfall Revision Upload.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	66953