Thread: Hiring Cartographers for Creation of a Fantasy Map

Guild Applicant

Default Hiring Cartographers for Creation of a Fantasy Map

Dear Cartographers:

I’m a fantasy author going by the pseudonym Alex Stargazer. And as you can ascertain, I am looking for a good cartographer to make me a fantasy map for my upcoming novel—the Necromancer.

I won’t go into the book’s details (its got a guy who can raise the dead, believe it or not; and it’s got flying zombies, and magic!) but rest assured that it fits snugly into the Dark Fantasy genre and does, therefore, require a style of cartography as befits such a tale.

I am willing to pay the interested map maker around £150 (negotiable) through electronic funds transfer. I only require reproduction rights for commercial purposes; you may hold your copyright and do whatever you like with it. Please note that I am on a deadline: the map must—ideally—be completed within the 11th of September, and certainly no later than the 31st of October (publication date).

The map would have to either be greyscale or at least suitable for greyscale printing and display. And yes: the map must be at 300 DPI or greater—printer will reject it otherwise.

I have attached a rough working for which the map must—more or less—correspond to.

I await would-be mapmakers,
    Alex.

Reference-Map.tif.zip

EDIT: For additional guidelines on the desired style, check out: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../Alagaesia.jpg

SECOND EDIT: Apologies, but I forgot to mention the size. It should ideally be 13.97x21.59 (horizontal vertical) centimetres, but I don’t mind as long as the map conforms to the aspect ratio.
    Last edited by AlexStargazer; 08-28-2014 at 01:49 PM.

I'd be interested in taking this on. You can see some examples of my work on my website and in my Gallery. I'd also be able to get it done in the time frame you requested.

Thanks much.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I'd be happy to send you an email with a sample image of my current greyscale work. I love doing novel maps.

You can see some of my stuff at christianstiehl.com

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Hi Alex,

A contact email would be great to send you some previous works.

Regards,

Antonio Frade

Guild Applicant

Default An Update

Everyone:

Sorry for being so slow to reply. I've been busy cleaning up my office/computer room/I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-anymore and that took most of today. Thankfully, I am much more productive with two big monitors, a nice--big--keyboard and a nice, big... well, you get the picture.

I have looked at all of your portfolios. Thank you for being prompt in replying--and for giving me so much to think about!

I agree with the last person to reply: email communication would be better suited to this.

My email address, therefore, is: work DOT alexstargazer AT mail DOT com

I await your offers and anything else you'd like to show me. Since someone has already quoted me $200, it is probably a good idea for you to give me exact quotes as well; and do tell me anything else you think may be pertinent, e.g. how you work, etc.

Please bear in mind that I might be a tad slow in replying--my Internet, sadly, has decided to be uncooperative today. (My ISP is begging for a class-action lawsuit...)

Guild Applicant

Default Chosen a Cartographer

Hey guys:

I've started work with someone. Thanks for your time.