Thread: Help for world elevation map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I had a look around and didnt find anything but there was a nice site discussing the gores projection and lots of maps to make earth there but no elevation. The kind dev (Mitchell Charity) who runs that domain did a nice thing and posted the perl script to make it tho. So I got out a mercator style elevation map which is everywhere and pushed it though the gores projection and it made a nice version for you. I have issues uploading images so I am hosting it. Its public domain in any case since the original came from Nasa.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Go...ationGores.png

All you need to do now is make multiple copies of it and use a threshold for how bright you want each of them to determine the height and then cut all the bits out - good luck with that bit. Might be easier to 3D print it ! Post a pic of your globe when done. We have had a couple done like this before now if you search around.

Edit - Site reference:
    http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/planet_globes/
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I had a look around and didnt find anything but there was a nice site discussing the gores projection and lots of maps to make earth there but no elevation. The kind dev (Mitchell Charity) who runs that domain did a nice thing and posted the perl script to make it tho. So I got out a mercator style elevation map which is everywhere and pushed it though the gores projection and it made a nice version for you. I have issues uploading images so I am hosting it. Its public domain in any case since the original came from Nasa.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Go...ationGores.png

All you need to do now is make multiple copies of it and use a threshold for how bright you want each of them to determine the height and then cut all the bits out - good luck with that bit. Might be easier to 3D print it ! Post a pic of your globe when done. We have had a couple done like this before now if you search around.

Edit - Site reference:
    http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/planet_globes/
    Wow! Well, first of all, thanks for the quick reply and all the effort you put to it!! :O You're super nice!

However, is there any chance you could remake this with 12 gores in stead of 16...? You see, it doesn't represent the elevation in the oceans - I can use other maps for that and combine the data (I have found maps that show the ocen depth :-) ) but G.Projector can't convert anything to or from 16 gores, while 12 is the best choice for the rest of the things I want this globe for...
    If you can't/don't want to do it I completly understand. Thanks for all the effort you've put into it anyway! :-)

Yeah, I will!

Blog Entries

If you click on the original link its a 12 tang gore now. You will also notice that its a lot smaller image. If you replace the filename in your browser URL from GlobalElevationGores.png to GlobalElevationGoresLarge.png then you will get the large version which is 12800 wide. By not posting a direct link to it then it might stop the google image spider from indexing it and then prevent my server getting a hammering.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If you click on the original link its a 12 tang gore now. You will also notice that its a lot smaller image. If you replace the filename in your browser URL from GlobalElevationGores.png to GlobalElevationGoresLarge.png then you will get the large version which is 12800 wide. By not posting a direct link to it then it might stop the google image spider from indexing it and then prevent my server getting a hammering.
    Thanks! I think this will work perfectly! (wow, it IS huge )
    You've been very helpful! :-)