Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My re-attempt of doing a world map

I guess I should have clarified everything sooner. What I'm about to explain is going to be strange for some. First off, the map I'm making is just a recreation of a video game map. I'm very aware of the weird layout of the river on the southern and the northern continent. But, since I'm trying to be faithful to the actual map itself, it has to stay like this. I guess I can show a portion of the southern map. It's not mine; but this is the closest one I could find since I couldn't find the actual in-game map. It's on the bottom, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    This may be picky, but as a "world map" shouldn't the landmass on the eastern edge also appear on the western side of the map?
    No, it's not supposed to connect to the western continent. It's another land mass. I know it looks like it's connected, but it's not. The thing about this map is that, the series only show the northern and southern continent. The rest is up to interpretation. I know it's weird that I'm seriously restricting myself from doing precise details on a particular areas as opposed of doing a map from scratch. To be honest, I'm surprised how much criticism I'm getting on the rivers alone. I was expecting something else. Still, I'm glad I'm receiving constructive criticism to improve my work even further.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suikodenVmap.jpg 
Views:	2655 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	6345  
    Last edited by Strikebomber; 09-05-2008 at 02:37 AM. Reason: fixed the picture on attachment rather than inserting a clip image.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikebomber View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised how much criticism I'm getting on the rivers alone. I was expecting something else. Still, I'm glad I'm receiving constructive criticism to improve my work even further.
    Don't let it dissuade you from posting. The criticism is quite friendly on this board and is geared around improving people's maps. There is also a lot of positive reinforcement as well, but we don't just say we like something. If we don't like something for some reason, we'll say so and we'll include the reason why. If it's a deliberate choice (as you've done here to be faithful to an original map) then that's fine. Sometimes, the mapper will reject the reasons and just point out that it's their map. That's fair enough as well .
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Wip

Well, I finally have time to post my map. This time, I'm messing around with plateau. To be honest, I don't know if I'm even doing it right. Should I make the ridges much smaller to make the over-head view look a little more realistic?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suikoden map remix.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	6421  

This site is pretty amazing. I stumbled upon your link looking up One Piece maps and decided to register.

I decided to look up Suikoden on a whim as I've always thought the geography of the universe is very interesting.

Awesome stuff. Looking forward to your next iteration.

Guild Adept

Overall, I personally like the land forms a lot. Some folks may comment on the repetitive water, but it doesn't bother me at all. I think this is a great map.

Aside from the River issue - which doesn't bother me so much, because they could just be channels rather then rivers - I get the feeling this is a 'polar projection'. I think it may be the icecaps on the northern contient throwing me off.

Otherwise, very pretty.

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

River Police? Theres River Police? Where can I sign up?!?? Rivers are one of my pet peeves, especially when it comes to things like Eragon which is a best selling book and has a HUGE River flaw in it (*stupid voice* "hu hu theres a lake on top of the mountain range and twos rivers flow out of it on opposite sides hu hu" NO... Just NO)

Anyways on to your actual piece, criticising your work here not the land since you didn't make it up yourself, I think it's really good, it has a nice realist look to it. I'm interested in seeing how it will improve, especially since it's a Fan Map.
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12