Hi there, I'm looking for direction on what software to learn to create maps for a world I'm creatively fated to complete.

So, I want results like those seen on the front page of the Guild site; they're beautiful and I'm willing to take the time to learn new software. However, every one of the maps on that I'm gazing lustfully over was created in Photoshop, and while I'm willing to spend time, I'm not willing to spend that much money on software.

Can I realistically get those type of results (providing the requisite talent, practice and patience) using tools like Gimp or Inkscape? I'm even willing to part with, say $100 to get a program like CC3 and add-ons; though it seems more limited and I don't know if it's really capable of that level of detail, shading, lighting, etcetera seen in those 'best of' maps. Am I even considering the correct programs? Or am I going to need to buy CS5 and explain to my sons that they didn't have Christmas because daddy needed to make maps of places that don't exist.

(Great site by the way. I'm always amazed that there are so many people with my particular long list of obsessions.)