Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nostapyrax

This is going to look incredible when you finish it fifty. The progress you've already made is pretty astounding.

I've just got a couple of comments for you, before you go too far with the buildings:
    --first, one of the biggest problems with city maps (in my experience) is remaining consistent with the scale. So far, I think you've kept the scale quite good, although perhaps some of your buildings are a bit too small.
    --second, up close I think the texture on your docks looks a bit wrong. The way the lines all go the same direction, despite the shape of the dock is a problem, I think. Perhaps it would be better if you simply hand-draw the planks on a low opacity.
    --I really like that the streets/public spaces seem to be defined by the buildings, rather than the other way around. That is something few city mappers do, and I wish more people would do, because it makes a closer match to historic city patterns (it also gives you those fantastic little alleys and squares that you're developing here). My only suggestion, at this point, is to not neglect the more obviously linear kinds of streets (i.e. the main roads that link different parts of the city, or the city to different parts of the world).
    --I think there is a slight problem with some of your building roofs. It is especially the case with the buildings which have roofs that rise to a single point. From a construction/real-world point of view, that is not an efficient roof design, as it requires additional materials, less strength, and less drainage ability. (If you agree with my comment) I would suggest looking at satellite images of cities you are inspired by, and photos on Google Images, to get a sense of the many different shapes a roof can be.

All that said, I love the colours, love the textures, love the layout, really really looking forward to seeing this finished.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Here's a shot of Venice rooftops by satellite:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venice Streets 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	69616
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

By Fifty
    This is clearly going to take quite a bit of time!!
    From my experience, it seems to be always time-consuming to do a big city. But you've got an ambitious one, and I agree with THW, it's gonna be a beautiful one.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

@ TWH
    1 - yeah I think I see what your saying about scale, in my head the smallest buildings are like lean-to extensions or some such but I may very well need to review as I go.
    2 - As for the dock texture - I totally agree, tbh I just chucked a texture fill layer on to give me some feel of what it might look like - I'll trust you guys to keep me honest and replace this with something better before I call the map done!
    3 - Again I totally see where your coming from, I think I've sort of got this in hand - here's my base work on the next block to show you where I'm heading:

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	69639

4 - And yet gain your probably right on the pointy building roofs - but they are a lot quicker to draw!!! lol - I'll bear it in mind as I progress and great idea to check out some RW satellite pics...

@ Xpian - Which neatly leads on to big thanks to you for the snap shot - perfect for giving me some ideas on where to go!!

Thanks again guys
    Orbis Terrarum RPG - The British RPG of Swords, Sorcery & Science.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin pretty good, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quick question - does anyone know how to set up a (dual?) brush in PS that pivots to always line up in the direction you move it?

I want to draw two parallel lines that will remain the same distance but follow a path.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

On the Brushes presets go down to Angle Jitter and set it to Direction. However, you'll have to create the brush tip because dual brush doesn't actually put 2 brushes together. If you were going to make wagon tracks just make 2 dots, one above the other, save as brush, select the brush from the menu, set the angle jitter, resave the brush. I make railroads this way (with a slat of course).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Perfect! - Thanks ascension

Seasons greetings to all at CG!

Managed to find an hour or so between visiting family and indulging to do some more on this map ...

Name:	Capture5.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	69881
    The little islands and alleyways are looking pretty ok and the city seems to be taking a bit of shape (at least in this section)

Name:	Capture6.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	69882

...I've also tried to stay clear of 'pointy roofs' as much as possible now!

Going forwards my intention is to stick a few more interesting structures in as I go and then fill in with more ordinary for the rest:

Name:	Capture7.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	69883
    ...hopefully this will allow me to get a nice balance between detail and driving myself mad!! lol!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I like the look you're achieving. It reminds me a bit of Alyssa Faden's work. https://www.facebook.com/AlyssaFadenCartography

Do you despair at the sight of all those roofs left to color in? ;-)
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast