Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Challenge :*** "Commission" a Guilder ! ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Default October/November 2014 Challenge :*** "Commission" a Guilder ! ***

Hey everyone,

You would like to make a map in some style but doesn't really nail it? You really love some guilder's work and want a map from him/her? You're interested in a fun collaboration challenge with one of your friend in the Guild? Let's do it!

This month is a kind of a teaming challenge. The idea is simple though a bit unusual :

1. Make a team with another guild member
    2. Once the team is done, each member of the team have to write a very short briefing (a paragraph of 10 lines or so) and give it to your partner. This briefing must describe the map (and its elements and constraints) you would like your partner to do for you. Whatever you want as a map, its elements should be clearly mentioned in the briefing (colored map, black and white, style, level of details, specifics etc.)
    3. When each member of the team gets the briefing, each one have to make a map according to it.

You can discuss with your team mate using the private message system to make sure he/she agrees to team with you and to forward your map briefing. During the WIP progress, you can react to your "commissioned" partner's work in his thread of course. Each member of the teams will post an individual entry and when comes the voting time, will be judged individually.
    The Challenge is a very open one, since the map theme/subject isn't as important as the idea of working from another guilder's briefing.

As usual, please make sure to title your threads: October 2014 Challenge: <your title here>

Also, don't forget to precede each work in progress picture with the label: ### Latest WIP ### This way the thumbnail scraper can find your entry and all the voters will be able to see it at the end of the month. Each entry should also contain the team mate's name and the original map briefing text.

This challenge will end on or around the 20th of November, after which there will be a 5 day voting period.
    The winner will receive this fabulous award for which everyone fights on the web : the Golden Compass! Icing on the cake, each entrant will also receive his/her commisioned work from his team mate !

Good luck !
    Last edited by - Max -; 10-17-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Banned User

Hmmmm, 60+ views and not a single comment yet. I think everyone must be in shock!

I'll try to start the ball rolling this way ..... I'd like to commission a subterranean map. Anyone interested who would like to team with me, please send private message. I'll post back here when I have a partner.

Update: Just in case anyone cares, I'm all set now. Have a blast ....
    Last edited by Chick; 10-03-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Update:

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    This challenge will end on or around the 29th of November, after which there will be a THREE day voting period.
    It's a two-month challenge, then? Shouldn't that be the 29th of October?
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    It's a two-month challenge, then? Shouldn't that be the 29th of October?
    Yes it should be 29th of October. I fixed it ! Thanks.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I'd like to state publicly, and for the record, that I am open to being challenged in the manner described.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

An interesting challenge. Hmm... I've never thought of commissioning someone else to make a map for me. Don't know what I'd ask for, except... Would anyone be interested in doing a traditional media exchange?

EDIT: I'm all set. This'll be fun
    Last edited by Chashio; 10-03-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

This sounds like it'll be a very interesting challenge.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    An interesting challenge. Hmm... I've never thought of commissioning someone else to make a map for me. Don't know what I'd ask for, except... Would anyone be interested in doing a traditional media exchange?
    Sounds like something I should be up for I haven't made a map in a while, could use something like this to get back into it…

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    What do you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    What do you have in mind?
    Well, say a smallish map done on paper or canvas using natural media. Pencil, paint, ink... I have all sorts. Could do an equal exchange of originals if both parties desire or just keep to digital copies.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast