Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Creation and Depiction of Fantasy Cities - Parts I & II

Tutorial [Award Winner] Creation and Depiction of Fantasy Cities - Parts I & II

I am putting together a guide on the creation and depiction of fantasy cities. Rather than publishing it here only after I've finished all of it (the liklihood is that it would end up in development hell and never see the light of day), I'm publishing it in parts.

Attached below is part I. C&Cs gratefully accepted and may be incorporated into the second editon when I finish Part II.

Edit: Second Revision completed.
    It's a 8.9 mb download in .pdf form.

CLICK HERE to read the tutorial online
    Click the cover below to download the file.

Enjoy!

Are you interested in proofreading feedback? 'Cause I've found a couple of errors already. First paragraph on page two: "In this guide I is an explanation..."

Third paragraph, same page: "you would not expect to see Bedouin tents in Arctic tundra any less than you would igloos in the desert"

That should read either "you would expect to see Bedouin tends in the Arctic tents even less than..." or "you would not expect to see Bedouin tents in Arctic tundra any more than..." The way it's phrased now makes it sound as though you should expect igloos in the desert.

No errors on page three (har har). If you'd prefer to keep your momentum going on new work, perhaps passing the document off to someone else to edit would be a good idea. Writing is fun, but revision is work, as they say. I'd volunteer my services, but I don't have software capable of editing pdf at the moment. I'm more than happy to keep proofreading, though, if it's helpful.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

My guess is that your introductory essay was the last thing you wrote, and you were eager to get it done, yes? I didn't find any glaring errors in the rest of the document, although the double 'l' in tranquillity threw me. I hadn't realized it could be spelled that way until I looked it up.

Very fine work, ravs! Five stars from me!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I'll give a read momentarily. OFF TO THE POOL with the family.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for sharing it!

Wow this is a gold mine of useful information. Can't wait to read the next part!

Woah. I'm going to give this a good read later on, but this looks very detailed and interesting

An excellent addition to this article is a book I bought yesterday.

Writer's Completer Fantasy Reference

This book is just chock full of useful info, and yes some of it is very useful even for mapping
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast