Thread: PEGANA: A Campaign World for a Pulp-style Fantasy Campaign

Guild Novice

Post PEGANA: A Campaign World for a Pulp-style Fantasy Campaign

I have been reading (and re-reading) a lot of pulp fantasy of late. Not just Lovecraft and Howard, but Clark Ashton Smith and Lord Dunsany. The reading has inspired me to run a ‘dungeon crawl’ fantasy campaign based on the works of HPL, Lord Dunsany, Clark Ashton Smith and others. The world the campaign would take place in would be a version of Lovecraft’s Dreamlands with a heavy dose of Smith’s Hyperborea and Zothique, as well as Dunsany’s “worlds” (I named the world after Dunsany’s Pegana). Where appropriate I’ve added my own elements and place names. I’m certainly not the first one to do this. Chaosium’s version of HPL’s Dreamlands has some Clark Ashton Smith while the artist Jason Thompson created a Dreamlands map with elements and place names from both Smith and Dunsany. However, I found Chaosium’s version of the Dreamlands too sparse and the map created by Jason Thompsan – while excellent – was too abstract for gaming. I wanted to map a world that I thought my players would want to game in, a world both different and familiar.

The map below is what I’ve come up with. The map is done is Photoshop and I used a number of different graphic elements:

1. The forests and certain symbols are from brushes created by StarRaven, which can be found at this link: (Sketchy Cartography Brushes by StarRaven on deviantART)
    2. Banners and other images are stock art by Outland Arts. Some artwork copyright William McAusland, used with permission.
    3. Certain images are clip art in the public domain.
    4. Other images were drawn by yours truly and scanned in.

Please let me know what you think of the map. Are their items I should add? Are there graphic elements you would change?

Thanks,

-Steve
    (visit my blog, The Lonely DM, for more discussion on Pegana)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pegana.png 
Views:	487 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	68155

Lovely map. I rather like the bold coastlines. What's the font(s) used?

The only thing that really bothers me is the castle symbol for Orphir in the SW of the map (particularly the white around the castle) which imo doesn't blend into the land like the other symbols you've used.

Couldn't help but notice those village shapes. I've been using those in my map project as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpes View Post
    ...the castle symbol for Orphir in the SW of the map ...
    Nitpick from someone who suffers from the same malady: Orphir is in the SE of the map.

Guild Novice

Lovely map. I rather like the bold coastlines. What's the font(s) used?
    Thanks! The fonts used were:

BlacklightD - most landmarks, cities, towns, etc.
    Lucida Caliigraphy - seas, islands, countries, etc.
    MV Boli - notes

The only thing that really bothers me is the castle symbol for Orphir in the SW of the map (particularly the white around the castle) which imo doesn't blend into the land like the other symbols you've used.
    Yeah, now that I look at it I have to agree. I'll go ahead and change it. Thanks for the feedback.

-Steve

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    visit my blog, The Lonely DM, for more discussion on Pegana
    Great stuff!

Did this project die? Do you have notes for the places on the map? Etc...

This is just amazing work man