Thread: Marauder's Isles - Small Test Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I like the style quite a bit, especially the look of the mountains. There is a disparity, though, between the detail level of the mountains and everything else. The mountains are excessively blurry in comparison to, say, the forests or the coastal lines.

Also, there is a definite texture to the water that makes it look painted on canvas, but the land doesn't have that texture. I think it would be more persuasive if either the texture was applied to the entire image or the land was given a very slight bevel, to make it look like the paint is thicker there. I'm not sure how well that latter idea would work, but it would be an interesting experiment.

I like the town icons, and most of your labels are very easy to read. Daleray should probably be moved off of the mountains--it doesn't contrast very well there, and I had to lean forward to read it.
    You're right about the mountains. They're the newest thing for me and I hadn't really practiced any before. I still don't have a method down perfect. I tried making them a bit sharper in this, but I think it'll come down to the actual pointedness I draw them with pre-effects rather.

I applied the sea texture to the land. I hadn't intended for it to look like it were on canvas, but I guess that's what I ended up with. See if you all can notice that it flows across the land now, too.

C&C please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutorial copy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	6285