Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Entry: Bogie's RedThorn by Jaxilon

And some more after that... (I know these were posted almost on top of one another but I took pics with my phone as I was going and didn't want to take the time to stop and upload while I was painting. At least there is a progression to follow )

Oh and my tape came in today...woot woot!

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedThorn v2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	68519
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I just noticed that when you zoom on these it looks a bit funkier than it is. I think it's because I'm taking a photograph, importing it at 72 px and converting it to 300. That always gets weird.

In the end I will be using my scanner to bring it into PS so it should look better. I can't really use a scanner while the whole thing is taped down to a 2' x 3' board.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Looks great Jax, love the volcano!

Another WIP - touched up some stuff, added some foliage along the desert coast, desert area worked on and put a label on it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedThorn v3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	507.3 KB 
ID:	68575
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 10-24-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Well, I spent most of my day experimenting and made up some hand drawn compass roses for this. I did finally come up with one I liked although it's not shown here. It's just a small update so I'm going to wait until I have a bit more to show.

But here are some of my experiments. Some of these are similar to other Roses here and about because I'm just trying to see how well I can do with my brush. [FYI, I do my experiments on the backs of old business cards]:

Name:	wcHandRoses.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	68747

Does anyone else start to hesitate once they put in a certain amount of time? At least when working in traditional media and I'm happy with how it's going I get concerned I might screw it up. There is no undo button after all (too bad cuz that would come in handy in life).

It's probably just my lack of experience with watercolor making me second guess myself. Anyway, kicking fear to the curb I shall forge ahead.

On a side note, I have a bunch of little paintings I made testing out ideas. Maybe I should put up a thread for these.

I'm trying to decide if I want to label the entire map by hand. I may scan this in for that because it's so easy to paint a wrong or bad letter and I can still do it by hand digitally. I just want to make sure I'm done with the painting part of this before I dismount it from the painting surface.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 10-30-2014 at 02:57 AM.

I figured I would share a shot of my workspace along with all the scraps I end up producing as I'm thinking about what to do next on this. Well, the space nebula was random but whatever.

Incidently, this was taken this morning and before I started in on the real work so it won't look like this again

Name:	workspace.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	68792

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Really nice whale! The map looks fantastic, great colors

Well I think I'm finally done with the painting and it's now been scanned in. I'm still fiddling with the sizes upon scan because it becomes huge when I bring it in at 300 ppi. At least on the screen. It's probably fine if I were going to print it but whatever, I've got to get on to the rest of this...running out of time, time, time.

From here on I think I'll be working digitally even though I feel kind of dirty for some reason doing it (not sure I understand why though) after all it's all by my hand.

I may paint more images for this if I have time and inspiration.

So here is the latest and I'll start working on labels next I believe.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	RedThorn v4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	68946

Wonderful Jax, looking great!

Looks great, Jax.

I think the technique really works well here. It helps me imagine the sounds of monkeys chattering, waves crashing, birds screeching, jaguars prowling, wind roaring, and mountains rumbling. I hope that's what you were going for. I don't think it would have that effect if all done in PS or by some other method.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast