Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Entry: Bogie's RedThorn by Jaxilon

Great illustrations!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great illustrations!
    Thanks Boogie. I have a blast making them.

I'm wrestling with the idea of doing the rest of the towns since I did Effingham. That or I can drop that one. I mainly did it because I was daydreaming about what sort of place a town on the edge of the dessert in front of a volcano would be like. I can't imagine it has a lot to offer but maybe there is something thereby of value.

Anyway not sure I might try one over the land but I'm thinking it might become too busy or cluttered and I don't want that.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I would say either leave it as it is or add just 1 or 2 more towns. Any more than that and it will be to cluttered.

Another city, more thorns and some shields.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReadThorn wip.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	69115
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I believe that it is an internet tradition that I remind you that the possessive of "it" has no apostrophe (in the description of the redthorn plant). The technique is well done, but the little city previews seem jarringly sharp against the watercolor background. Maybe a 30% transparency might help (I'm not sure that they are large enough to take a blur).

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I believe that it is an internet tradition that I remind you that the possessive of "it" has no apostrophe (in the description of the redthorn plant). The technique is well done, but the little city previews seem jarringly sharp against the watercolor background. Maybe a 30% transparency might help (I'm not sure that they are large enough to take a blur).
    Thanks for the comments waldronate. I will see what I can do to address these points. Appreciate it.

Toned down the intensity of some stuff and upped others. Just trying to even it out. Completed another illustration and that's the end of those.
    Added a scale as well...not in love with the scale but it functions.

Bogie, if you (or anyone else for that matter) sees anything else let me know. I think i am about done otherwise.

I might chop up the shields and place them with the corresponding illustrations.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ReadThorn wip8.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	69126
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-17-2014 at 03:47 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks good. though the landmarks drawings and the towns markers still clash a bit with the watercolor overall work imho.

Ok, while its up I will get what may be my last update in.

Added some blur to the digital illustrations which I think help match the overall style better. I desaturated it a bit as well to bring down some of the bright greens.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	RedThorn wip10c.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	69145
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-19-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Awesome Jaxilon! Definitely my favorite this month.

Personally I preferred the brighter version. Half the charm for me was the bright and strong coloring. It really gave it a unique personality, without being too much.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast