Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Entry: Bogie's RedThorn by Jaxilon

Default October/November 2014 Entry: Bogie's RedThorn by Jaxilon

Well, it's a been entirely too long and I'm posting this so I don't try to weasel out even though I'm not yet sure where I'll find the time to get this accomplished. Probably in the last 2 weeks of the month but hey. This one is for Bogie so a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

RedThorn is a small island kingdom, about 75 to 100 miles wide by 150 to 200 miles long, with a temperate climate, a mix of terrain including mountains forests lakes & rivers and a small desert, and there must be a volcano somewhere on the island. There should be a capital city, 3 medium cities, 5 Large towns, and 6 Villages. This would be a medieval fantasy setting. Whatever style you want to do as long as it is in color.

I've not yet decided what media I plan to do this in. I've been wanting to do a map in watercolor for quite some time but I'm not sure. It would be quite experimental if I did so. Maybe I'll do this mixed media. I'm still mentally chewing on it. I am excited to get started though and that's a real good thing.

Look forward to seeing all the entries taking shape.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

You can DO it!

Nothing much to see other than I'm started...which means paper has been soaked and taped to a backer. Some light outlines are evident as well as some animal hair and fuzz that landed on the surface while it's drying. I think that will brush off easily once it's dry but I consider myself an amateur in watercolor so I'm not certain of anything. Anyway, here is proof I'm actually moving forward...

The only thing I'm concerned with is that I may have made the island a bit large for the paper. I think I will paint well within the lines to see if I can shrink it down a bit. Worst case I'll have to take care of that when I bring it all into the digital realm.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedThorn - The Beginning.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	68379

PS. So everyone knows this could end up a total train wreck
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 10-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Paper has been soaked? Wouldn't that make it wet? Jeez I'm a noob.

Default October 2014 Entry: Bogie's RedThorn by Jaxilon

you soak the paper to stretch it so that it doesn't warp later when you make it wet with the paint. you're not a noob, watercolor is weird

Yeah, what Gidde said. The idea is that if you get it wetter than you will ever get it while painting later on it won't warp all over the place. Unfortunately, I don't have a very great stretcher and the frames I have are not the right size for me to staple the paper I have to. I went looking for gum based tape today, hit 4 different locations and nobody had what I needed. I ended up ordering from Amazon but that's going to take too long to get to me so I'm trying to make due with painters tape....it's meh as far as I'm concerned but a little warp-age along the edge doesn't worry me too much.

The thing I love about watercolor is that it forces me to loosen up a bit. I tend to be super controlled in my images and I need to lighten up. Watercolor follows the water and you just have to work with it. It's a challenge but it sure looks awesome when it's done well. So I hope some day to be good at it.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have to throw in this tip, Jax. What I did for mine was went to home depot and got a 4x8 1/2-inch-thick board which I then cut into different drawing sizes (they do this for free there), a can of spray polyurethane (to coat the wood so it didn't rot out from the water) and a staple gun. Cost probably $40 total and I have all the watercolor-stretching supplies I'll need for the foreseeable future. Works like a charm.

Edit: Huh. you did the pencil before soaking? Never tried that before. Any particular reason (not that I have any reasons against it, just curious)?
    Last edited by Gidde; 10-15-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Reason...uh...why not? LOL I don't know I did it before on small stuff and it works fine.

I do have a big board I can tape it too and like I said I have a few stretcher bars that slide together to make a frame you staple the wet paper to but nothing the right size for what I have. You have a good idea on just getting a few sheets of smooth board and having them pre-cut. I'll think about it.

Here is a test I did today just to play around with the ideas I have on how to do this. I'm actually not that unhappy with it. Maybe I should use it instead but then that might be too easy.

So, this is amokup - a mock up. I know, super original eh?

Totally open to suggestions, tips, advice. Of course, sometimes you are better off not knowing what you shouldn't do because you might find something new...or end up with mud.

Name:	amokup.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	546.2 KB 
ID:	68390
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 10-16-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Looks cool!

Some progress made today

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	RedThorn v1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	68518

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast