Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Challenge: The Mountain City of Kashir

Default October/November 2014 Challenge: The Mountain City of Kashir

Guess there is no reason to slack around and wait; so even if it's at a early stage, I will go ahead and begin what I expect will be a long, tedious, stressful but nevertheless fun WIP for this month challenge. The City of Kashir !

For this challenge I grouped up with Domino44 and was commissioned to draw a mountain city with some similarities to Minas Tirith from LOTR, in the way it scales the mountainside. However, with more individual buildings, rather than appear as if hewn from the rock. We both gave each other a wide stretch of artistic freedom, however, one of the few specifics that Domino44 asked for is to have a waterfall somehow incorporated into the map, possibly flowing through the city. The commission was requested to be in my usual traditional medium, pen and paper, and when it comes to color it's all in my hands how I want to do it.

The actual map:

For this mountain city I wanted to take a step from my last city map (New Amber), and go with a more fantasy-esque theme, with a very high-elf inspired style with some influences from the Warhammer universe. Thus far I have began drawing the lower-walls of the city, the walls to the second "level" as you can see, and some detailing. With this, project – even though my fingers itch for it – I've decided to wait will all forms of shadowing until everything ells in the draft is done, and also try to wait with most of the detailing until the layout is done.

Domino44 asked for a large city map, and as you might understand from this, It's either go big or go home. So I have many, many hours – days even – of work cut out for me. But I am set to finish this within the boundaries of the challenge! As always, all forms of feedback are treasured greatly!

Cheers
    Tainotim

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Kashir.jpg 
Views:	734 
Size:	886.4 KB 
ID:	68295

Off to a great start!!

Thanks a lot Bogie!

Another update. Small progress, but something to keep the WIP going! Regrettably my scanner was acting up for this one, so the left side of the picture is slightly "gray-ish".

Cheers,
    Tainotim

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	city of kashir.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	68356

This is coming along nicely. The levels function can fix any issues like that once it is complete.

Much appreciated Larb! The level function really helps with brightness/grayness problems I have had in my previous maps.

This challenge is becoming more daunting every day with all the new inspirational entries coming up. I love it! The fact that all entries so far are all going in different directions are really exciting, can't wait to see all final results. For anyone who wants to push themselves that extra mile and improve their maps, I recommend entering this challenge!

And now; another update to my small straw in the stack!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	city of kashir 3 2.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	68475

It's coming along really nicely! The little details that you keep adding like the statue of the warrior are awesome!

Thanks a lot Domino! Soon as the overall outlines are finished there will more where that came from

Cheers,
    Tainotim

This is looking fabulous so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks a lot Jaxilon!

Another update! The overall outline is really taking shape now! For the next update I hope to have everything set and detailed before I start the most exciting part. Shadowing! And after that all that remains is some line-work polishing, and then I will take a shoot at coloring!

PS/ couldn't help myself, and attempted shadowing the construction in the right corner.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	city of kashri 4.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	68613

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast