Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October/November Lite Challenge: Design your Home Away From Home

Info October/November Lite Challenge: Design your Home Away From Home

Home Away From Home
    This months Lite Challenge is to design a portable place for your character to rest while adventuring.
    The idea was originally posted by Talroth 6 years ago. Here is a link to the original post:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...away-home.html
    ************************************************** *******************************************
    Here is the text from that post describing it:

One thing that has often bothered me about role playing is how often you end up playing a vagabond, some homeless super hero that wanders from city to city, castle to castle, dungeon to dungeon, etc, etc. Rarely do we have the time in a game to have our characters settle down and form a home. After all, what fun is deciding on paint colours when there is a dragon to slay?
    So, if you are a member of a party that is always on the move to bigger and better things, how can you have a bit of home to call your own? Why, that is what this challenge would be about.
    Design a home that you can always have access to while traveling on about your adventures. Your home must be able to follow you anywhere in the world your characters can travel, within reason such as trips into caves or similar confined spaces you might not be able to take it. Sailing ship, Airship, Space ship, Winnebago, Yurt, portable hole in space that leads to your back door to the manor house. Whatever you call home it should have an interior layout with details, and optional exterior views.
    Bonus points for including a list of characters who inhabit your mobile home, and why each section suits the character that lives there or the group as a whole.
    ************************************************** ****************************************
    Even if you don't play RPG's you can still design a mobile home of some sort, those of us who do play will be eternally grateful.

As usual, please make sure to title your threads: Oct/Nov 2014 Lite Challenge: <your title here>

Also, don't forget to precede each work in progress picture with the label: ### Latest WIP ### This way the thumbnail scraper can find your entry and all the voters will be able to see it at the end of the month.

This challenge will end on or around the 12th of November, after which there will be a 3 day voting period. The winner will receive a Silver Compass!

Good luck !
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-18-2014 at 11:32 PM.

*sticks hand up*
    I like the sound of this!

Banned User

I'm a little confused about this.

Is this supposed to be a portable home, as in the sailing ship, spaceship, or wagon, with just enough cramped space to hide out or hang out in when off in the wilderness on an adventure, a home that can "follow you anywhere you travel"?

Or is it a real home with rooms and other areas suitable for each character to inhabit, have privacy, and work in based on their profession, with merely a "portable hole in space that leads to your back door"?

Those are very, very different things!

This ought to be an interesting one.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post

Is this supposed to be a portable home, as in the sailing ship, spaceship, or wagon, with just enough cramped space to hide out or hang out in when off in the wilderness on an adventure, a home that can "follow you anywhere you travel"?

Or is it a real home with rooms and other areas suitable for each character to inhabit, have privacy, and work in based on their profession, with merely a "portable hole in space that leads to your back door"?

Yes.

Personally, if I were a wandering vagabond adventurer, I would *obviously* be a wizard, and Mordenkainen made a magnificent mansion for me to hang out in while I was on the road.

So any of the ideas you mention would work in my oh-so-humble opinion, along with many other possibilities. I'm actually really jealous of the folks who are still eligible, this would be a fun one to join

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You can join in, Oh Gidde One. You just can't win a silver compass.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post

I agree with Gidde's response. A nice place to stay when out adventuring. It can be mundane such as the Gypsy Wagon that one of my players had and rode on all his trips, or magical such as a magic Tent of Luxury that is larger on the inside than outside and comes completely furnished, it can be other genres such as a small blue police callbox that opens into a space/time travel tardis. Use your imagination. The original writer of this challenge mentioned a portable "magic gate" that would take you back to your normal home. I will allow it, it would be very useful to the players, but I feel this least fits the theme of a portable home away from home. It is just a portable way to get home.

I remember one game where we had a cart. It was the closest thing we had that we can call a house.

The game master made it burn twice, whit everything it contained. Nobody was injured, small consolation.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Aww, Azelor, that's a cruel GM!

Naw, the roll of a GM is basically adversarial. That's a normal GM. :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast