Thread: Map Request - The LaGuna Islands - The Dream Map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Post Map Request - The LaGuna Islands - The Dream Map

Greetings cartographers. My names is Jason Luthor, author of the book, The Dream Map. I'm in flux with my agent and am commissioning some art work right now as a precaution should things not work out between him and me. For reference, this was my previous commission at $200 for the cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Dream Map.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	586.4 KB 
ID:	68464

The Dream Map itself is a story concerning a young man that can look at fantasy maps, and travel to the world depicted (such as the map of Middle Earth you'd find in Lord of the Rings, although I don't steal other people's stories). The first book takes place in a world called the LaGuna Islands, a world limited to a warm climate series of islands that include several mammoth islands and smaller ones as well. There are two halves to this map and I am attaching the easternmost half here.

Name:	Photo Mar 05, 4 02 29 PM.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	68463

I am primarily inspired by 'places of interest' type maps in which the typical geographic map is also dotted by locations, such as cities, which are enlarged disproportionately to draw more attention to them, as seen in this map of Eorzea:

Name:	ffxiv-maps-eorzea.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	68465
    I would also point to this map from Deviantart as inspirational

Name:	asperia_world_map_by_tsabo6-d80gqdf.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	435.8 KB 
ID:	68466

So this map would be fully colored, with places of interest, and be slightly wide to encompass two halves of the world. In my head I can imagine them sitting on opposite pages within the book. I do want the map to be slightly more vibrant than the Eorzea map due to the book's positioning as a young adult fantasy, but do not want the map to necessarily be 'cartoony'.

I don't have a particular resolution in mind but they'd have to be high resolution and I'd like them to be professional or as close to professional looking as possible.

In terms of time frame... I'm greedy and want it next week. Realistically I can see November being a date. Perhaps that is too short; I'm unable to gauge the time it would take to turnaround this project and get it back to me, although I do know the sooner I have it the sooner I can either a.) aggressively market with my agent or b.) aggressively self publish.

Obviously at the minimum I require reproduction rights for this purpose.

As further notes, this is my first post on this board and thus I cannot receive PM. I hope for some response to this thread. Be aware I have queried with several map makers independently, which occurred before I found this website. I consider myself a highly aggressive individual in business and, being an independent contractor myself with a self run business in the Houston metropolitan area, I understand everyone deserves to be paid good money for their work. That said, capitalism can be wonderful at helping balance out costs versus performance.

I should also say I am t e r r i b l e at drawing maps so please forgive my ill attempts at designing my own!

I'm interested in this commission. I've always wanted to try this style of map. My deviantart. Send me an email if you are interested: jon [dot] pintar [at] hotmail [dot] com

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I miss the exact dimensions for the map, a critical detail for that kind of project.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I miss the exact dimensions for the map, a critical detail for that kind of project.
    Kindle lists its highest dimensional resolution at "2560 x 1600 pixels, with 350 dpi resolution" so I am assuming in that range. I actually am playing that part by ear, since I am unsure myself, but kindle lists that as its maximum resolution.

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I am also interested in the project. You can reach me at: info [at] versakestudio [dot] com. Send me an email and I will answer you with samples of my artwork.

Hey guys I don't mean to be holding anyone up. I have a few emails and messages I'll be going through this week, and I have to consult with my artist who did the cover and get her opinion.

Has this add been taken? If so I'll go ahead and archive it.