Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of Bataar - Local Map

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Default Kingdom of Bataar - Local Map

Hi folks,

as mentioned in my Skahria thread, I wanted to do a local map for this area:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	local.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	970.3 KB 
ID:	68566

So I cut out the concerned part and put it on a canvas. Then I cut it apart to get my bearings for what's where to go while keeping the scale. Over this I drew a rough sketch of the mountains (you can see where I got impatient when you follow the mountains clockwise starting top left! ).

Name:	BataarskizzeOL.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	68570

And this is the sketch without the overlay:

Name:	Bataarskizze.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	883.6 KB 
ID:	68571

And finally this is a first test of what it might be getting at:

Name:	Bataartest.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	68572

This is just a prototype, I'm not yet satisfied with the thickness of the main mountain ridges. I might have to adjust the pencil. All in all I like it so far, though.

I also made a little progress on the Skahria map, going to update that soon.

As always, input and criticism welcome!

Cheers,
    Llannagh

Guild Journeyer

This looks nice, good job so far. Just keep posting so you can come back for more feedback, but congratulations on your current efforts.

Thanks, Ned. So here's an update!

I'm pretty fed up with drawing mountains atm, so I played around with different brushes and textures and how to lay out the landscape. That's the result:

Name:	Bataar.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	68619

Man, that'S a load of work I got myself into with these mountain ranges, but well, one has to keep challenging oneself, right?

Cheers,
    Llannagh

Guild Member

I wish I had drawing skills. Every attempt I made at drawing completely backfired. So consider me a litte jealous

I really like the look of these mountains and trees. It gives me a really nice feel of the scale of everything, with how tiny those trees are. I think this style will make a gorgeous map. It will be a bit of work but I can see this one turning out beautifully. Keep it up, and keep us updated!

I think you're doing a really good job. I like your mountains and if you don't mind, I would like to know how you draw your forests: premade brush? simple brush strokes with a particular setting?

Thanks for the praise and interest!

I have posted a quick explanation of my brush here.

Holy cow. I just realized I haven't posted anything done by me since October... Not that I have created an awful lot since then, since I'm still trying to figure out my life, but I have been making some changes to this map.

Looky:

Name:	Bataar-Beta-2-v3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	70693

I changed the perspective and decided to turn it by 90 degrees so you'd look "into" the kingdom. So North would be now to the left side of the map.
    I'm (as usual) experimenting with a way how to draw my mountains. And (as usual) my obsession with detail kicks in. But this technique is a bit quicker than the one used in the previous versions.

But I think i messed up the perspective. Right? Or does this seem to be right?

I hope (as usual) I'll be back more often, no promises though. I'll often take a quick peek at new WIPs etc. but hardly find the time/energy to post. I also hope (as usual) that will change soon.

Until not so much later hopefully,
    Llannagh

I have to apologize. On second and third looks, these new mountains are awful compared to my previous work. Screw em.

The mountains you've posted in the first comment of this thread, particularly the final pic, are absolutely stunning! I'm so very jealous!

After a once again long absence I have something to post here. Have been working every now and then on this, whenever time permitted and decided not to question every single stroke i made. Again, I completely redid the whole thing and the approach to it. This time I drew the mountains on an actual piece of paper with an actual pen. Then i scanned the outcome and worked digitally from there.

It deviated quiet bit from the cropped out image in the OP, but I guess that's just progress. I'm pretty happy so far and now have to figure out how to do settlements.

Please feel free to tear it apart!

Name:	Bataar-Beta-V3.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	72099

Catch you all later some time this year!

Cheers,
    Llannagh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast