Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3d Watch Mechanism D&D Plot Device.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just figured out the 1:2 as you wrote that...10 tooth to 20 tooth no matter what the scale always matches up at 1:2

The formula is -2*Z_Rotation for smaller gear having half the teeth...

so whats the proper math for say 13 to 21 then?

Its not (-1*(21/13))*Z_Rotation apparently

Edit: I just made a 11 and 21 gear ratio...calculated by hand as 1.9090909090~...
    Punched in -1.9090909090*Z_Rotation, and it worked (but started to get off after about 30 rotations by a very small amount...thats still a result...

BUT...when I tried (-1*(21/11))*Z_Rotation I get bunk...so I think maybe my parentheses are off?
    Last edited by Robbie; 09-15-2008 at 08:08 PM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I just figured out the 1:2 as you wrote that...10 tooth to 20 tooth no matter what the scale always matches up at 1:2

The formula is -2*Z_Rotation for smaller gear having half the teeth...

so whats the proper math for say 13 to 21 then?

Its not (-1*(21/13))*Z_Rotation apparently

Edit: I just made a 11 and 21 gear ratio...calculated by hand as 1.9090909090~...
    Punched in -1.9090909090*Z_Rotation, and it worked (but started to get off after about 30 rotations by a very small amount...thats still a result...

BUT...when I tried (-1*(21/11))*Z_Rotation I get bunk...so I think maybe my parentheses are off?
    No, your parentheses are correct. I do the math as written and get -1.9090~*Z_rotation
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Well, I've created more gears, and now that I know how to wire them together (and given that I'm probably going to be working primarily with 8 to 1) I've placed them where I want them to be for this device.

Even though it looks like a clock mechanism, which the mechanism is...its actually going to be a key. The small pinion gear on the top in the center is going to be the key to unlocking the Great Orrery and lead the PC's to the right places to begin to set the divine moons back to right.

Basically, the clockwork mechanism will be powered by the magic crystal, the crystal is attuned to the Divine Essence of the gods (moons) and pulses in time with the heartbeat of the Primary deity. Since thats currently not right, this key will allow the Orrery to position itself into the current "incorrect" position. Since once the moons started drifting out of alignment the sages and keepers of the Orrery shut it down since they could no longer track things.

Sorry about the stream of consciousness...I'm just planning my next few campaign sessions

Whatcha think? (Other than the gears not all quite lining up yet, will work on that soon)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OrreryKey.png 
Views:	748 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	6507  

Very nice and I like the back story. Very creative.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Its coming along...I've moved things around a bit...lined up the gears better so the teeth fit each other. The crystal is glowing now. I've given it a very early version of the housing. The big gear above the escape wheel is going to be the gear that interacts with the Orrery...though I'm thinking of making that the gear at the end of the chain (bottom of the balance wheel)...

Note also the jewel action can be better seen, and I added a balance spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watchmechanism.png 
Views:	369 
Size:	831.0 KB 
ID:	6512  

Blog Entries

Moving this thread to GD to get more feedback...Sorry guys

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's looking extremely cool, and I'd agree with RP - I love the backstory.

Good work.

Blog Entries

Thanks! I'll probably be whipping out some more backstory as I get its functionality finalized...I'm thinking about changing the crystal to be part of the link up to the Orrery...so it would have a piece of crystal sticking out and a gear sticking out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast