Thread: The Town Of Stonewall

Wip The Town Of Stonewall

I've been working on this for a couple days, not sure where to go with it. I need to label everything yet as well as Draw in the docks.
    Also, I'm not sure if I like how the water looks. Thoughts?

EDIT: Couldn't upload- file was to big.
    I've posted it on imgur instead.http://imgur.com/f8SrzBa
    Last edited by Dec2yne; 11-10-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Interesting, but it feels too cluttered for me. It's impossible to get a sense of what's important, because everything is drawn equally. I would experiment with drawing some buildings/elements larger or 3-d to give a sense of different importance.

This has a lot of promise, so I hope you keep going with it.

I agree with Julian about the cluttered look, and I have a few questions:
    --what historic era/culture (if any) is it inspired by?
    --what climate/geography exists nearby?
    --what is the topography of the city (flat, hilly, gently sloping etc)?
    --what is its main economic activity?
    --who runs the city, and by what means?
    --how and why was it founded?
    --why is the main part of the city so far from the sea (presumably ocean trade is important here)?
    --what is Stonewall's water source?
    --what is the scale of this map? (this is an important one to clarify the size of Stonewall as a town--it looks more like a city than a town at the moment. Also, I get the sense that some of the buildings are way too small, and there's far too much open space between buildings--in a medieval town, there would normally be no open space between buildings, other than streets, alleys, and courtyards/yards)
    --where is the city centre?
    --which are the main roads, and where do they go/what do they connect? (this and the previous question are a big part of the cluttered look: the city currently lacks a clear sense of structure. Looking at this map, I don't know where the town began, which roads are important, where most people live/work/trade/play; these are things that should be immediately apparent in a city map--if you want proof, check out any town in GoogleEarth and you'll see what I mean)

--(less important, but why is it called Stonewall when it doesn't have a defensive wall?)
    --why doesn't it have a defensive wall (assuming a medieval setting, it was not unheard of for a town to neglect their walls, especially during periods of peace; that said, walls were not just for war, but also to tax people entering the town)?

I don't know about the water. I think it looks too purple. Maybe make it more of a grey/blue. Also the faint contour lines on the water don't make sense. I quite like the dirty texture around the edges, though.

I hope that is helpful.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I can answer most of those questions, but first I must correct myself. The town is called Southwall, not Stonewall, and it is a city, not a town.
    In my defense it was late when I posted that.

--This is actually a city in a post apocalyptic wasteland. You can see the entire world map here.
    -- The city is in an Arctic climate.
    -- The city is on flat grounds. Think Tofino on Vancouver Island if you've ever been there.
    -- The city is the capital of the province of Coldbridge. It trades its lumber with the other two provinces.
    -- The city is run 1/3rd by an elected council, and 2/3rds by the military
    -- It was founded after several Navy Vessels successfully claimed land from the Dead Zone.
    -- The city is purposefully away from the sea to give the military a fair amount of reaction time in case any threats come in from the ocean.
    -- I hadn't thought about water. I'll need to solve that.
    -- I need to add the scale to the map.
    -- Again, didn't think of a city center
    -- I again, forgot about entering the city.

-- The town is called Southwall because a ways to the south (Their south, not magnetic south. Technically it is to the east.) there is a large stone wall, built in case of attacks from the dead zone. Again, there is a decent buffer zone to give the military time to react if the wall falls.

I'm graying the water and doing some other edits as I post this. Expect it in around a half. EDIT: Expect it some time tommorow. I'm super tired.
    Last edited by Dec2yne; 11-11-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Dec2yne View Post
    --This is actually a city in a post apocalyptic wasteland. You can see the entire world map here.
    One thing I've found helpful is to do detailed work in the same N/S orientation as the larger map - it saves me from making dumb mistakes (like having the Temple of the Sun open to the south for a dawn ceremony *headdesk*)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Wow, pretty dense map there. I really like the effect you've achieved actually. It definitely feels like a city isolated and on its own.

it seems to have a lot of work inside, looks great! keep the work , good luck!