Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Oecumene of Terra

Post A new map

If anyone is so curious, here's what i've been doing. The mountains are kind of my own invented process, smothered in Karl Gauss's own blur paste like so much sauerkraut.

My next vexation is deserts and forests. has anyone found any particularly good methods for forests and deserts in PS?

These may not be the best methods but they are really quick. I did them in Gimp. Took about 10 minutes.

The forest is just a dark green splatter brush. Then I applied noise to it (spread) and embossed it. As an enhancement you can then duplicate the forest layer and apply a very small drop shadow to the top layer.

The deserts are just an adjustment in the colour levels of those areas and the application of a feint bump map. As I say, not hugely pretty bu quick.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreaterConcordiapng.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	6655  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I tend to use textures for my forests and deserts (and pretty much everything else), though that also depends on the scale of the map. Though Torq's use of GIMPs splatter brush (not sure what ,if any PS equivalent there is), does wield some great results.

You could also try a noise filter to give a little 'graininess' to the deserts, not sure how well it would work but it might be worth a try.

Great mountains by the way.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12