Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realistic mountain terrain

Banned User

Correct, Max, the trees and rivers are not the interest here. I only put them on to see how I could fit them into the mountain structure dictated by the underlying shaded relief.

I think I like the mountains on the western island better. They seem sharper and more detailed. Which technique did you use?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
    I think I like the mountains on the western island better. They seem sharper and more detailed. Which technique did you use?
    The technique is the same throughout. I used different shaded relief maps from USGS, NASA, and the like, to get some varied texture. Also some of them needed to be adjusted for brightness or contrast. That is probably what you are seeing. It is good to know which variation looks best
    Last edited by Chick; 11-12-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Guild Artisan

The shading is really great. Like it very much.
    But take a care with scales. A good guide is to put a scale on your map and then look how large/high are your mountains according to the scale.
    I would say that yours are really big. Perhaps too big in all 3 dimensions. Don't forget that you look at them from quite far up.

Actually you have a scaling graduation : plain, low round hills , high foothills, mountains counterforts, high mountain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12