Thread: irregular floor tiles

Default irregular floor tiles

How can I go about creating floors for dungeons/buildings/etc. with a "regular" grid, but with an "irregular" pattern? Here's a preview image from one of SkeletonKey Games' "2e Adventure" products that illustrates the kind of effect I'm looking for:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview_img_0007.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	68758

Notice that the "regular" layout of the floor tiles creates a 1" grid, but that within each 1" space, the individual floor tiles are "irregular".

I'm pretty new to CC3 (and DD3), but I have been running through every tutorial, PDF guide, and instructional post I get my hand on. I guess I'm trying to label my self an "experienced beginner!"

I imagine there are 2 ways to go about this:
    1) Find a really nice texture to fill floors with, add a fancy looks-like-tile-grout Grid, make sure the grid sheet is above the floor, but below the walls, and then apply some special effects to the grid and floor; or
    2) Create a fancy/special symbol fill by creating 10-20 1" square floor tiles that are all relatively the same but with interesting irregularities in image editing software, import all of those images somehow and create a new Symbol Fill for floors.

However - I'm just guessing here, and I'd really like some advice, or directions to a resource that discusses this sort of thing.

(in case the attachment doesn't work, here's a link to the first image: http://watermark.wargamevault.com/fl...w_img_0007.jpg)

Here's another example, with a more "interesting" irregularity, as well as an example of what I'm talking about that doesn't strictly adhere to a grid, but rather infers the grid. (This is also artwork from SkeletonKey games, this time from a "demo" pdf of their e-Adventure Tiles line of products):

Name:	etile_demo.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	68759

I don't know CC3 so I don't know if there is an easy way to do this. This is what Dundjinni does best, create randomly placed floor and wall tiles from a set of 1"x1" tiles. In Photoshop or GIMP, another option is to take a large floor pattern you like, cut out the floor shapes and just lay the walls down over it.

I used Dundjinni to make you three floors that you can use to do this if you want.
    These are exported at the highest resolution I can get with Dundjinni which is 1" = 5' at 200 dpi.
    More often people use 100 dpi for maps so you can adjust the resolution to what ever you wish to use.

Name:	Floor-Trial-1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	68763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor-Trial-2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	68764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor-Trial-3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	68765
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-30-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Yeah - there is no automatic way in CC3 to do what you want to do. What I often do (similar to your option 1) is to pick a normal floor texture, then above that put a transparent dirty texture, and then put the grid above those two. There's a couple on dunjinni, but the attached image is my goto.

Name:	6C2_Dirty_Overlay4-Blu.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	68778

another option is to go over to dunjinni and download a bunch of the floor tiles (similar to what Bogie graciously provided) that are cut up into 1" pngs. Then manually plug them in so they are random. Just upload them as a symbol (little button above the symbols on the left) and drop them in as you would any other symbol.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

I found what I was looking for on pages 37-38, in part 6 of the following tutorial: Chapelle / Chapel - JdR Presse

Basically, he says that if I make sure the floor polys (or multipolys) have their top-most node aligned to a horizontal grid line, and their left-most node aligned to a vertical grid line, then the fill texture (if it is an image including a 5'x5' grid, and I followed the advice on pg 37 regarding the scaled fill style) will align with the grid!

yay!

The proper placing a titles is big fun and attraction