Thread: WIP - A Campaign Map - Statal

Wip WIP - A Campaign Map - Statal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Statal Coastline.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	69215

This is the coast of Statal, a fictional land I'm making for a DnD campaign. Curving in from the west into the southern part of the land is a large mountain range, some peaks of which have never been climbed before. The north-west is dominated by forests, giving way to hills and plains in the north-east. The further south, the more temperate the climate becomes- south of the mountains, the weather is Mediterranean. The land grows more cultivated as well, forests giving way to farms and villages, cities and strongholds.

Name:	geography outline.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	834.8 KB 
ID:	69216
    [ The overview of what I want to go where ]

ugh. drawing with the mouse is horrible, it's a good thing I'm printing this out for the rest of the process!

In this politically unstable land, the west is dominated by a large empire. A coup and the resulting unrest forced the recalling of the empire's martial forces from the eastern province of Statal back to the empire's homeland. Having gained their autonomy de facto, the province devolved back into a fractured city-state model, but the northern sector of the province, hiding behind a facade of returning the land to the empire's fold, has attempted time and time again to carve its own empire at the expense of the southern city states. In order to repel these attempts, the majority of the south formed a loose coalition. To complete this mess, the empire has nearly finished licking its wounds, and is ready to reassert itself in the east.

Having printed it out, and traced it onto a large semi-transparent sheet, I started working on the mountains.

Name:	IMG_6073.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	76774

Usually when I draw mountainsides I make them larger and more detailed, but here I thought I'd take the opposite approach, and make up for the individual quality of the mountains with the quantity of peaks, cliffs and foothills.

Name:	IMG_6075.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	76773
    Last edited by Obscurity; 10-15-2015 at 05:28 PM.