Thread: Petros

Default Petros

Hi all, this is a picture I've been working on for a while. It's for a story that I plan on putting on paper later down the line, but I've had reference pictures and story notes for the past couple years and I figured I'd finally get past my fears and draw the actual city out, even in rough form just to get some sort of actual image of it.

This map is mostly for me, it's not going to be super informational, just for the look of it. I figured that since I'm working on it, I might as well upload it here for you all to see as well.

Pretty much, the city is called Petros, although it's subject to change. The city itself is going to be a huge metropolis, what I've done so far is mostly the downtown sections with huge skyscrapers everywhere. It's Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in Siberia around the year 2144. I've also made a world map of my world in 2144, which I might upload sometime as well, although it's really sketchy at the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petros WIP 01.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	69339

Enjoy and feel free to leave a comment!

It's quite nice how even though you use sketchier strokes, it looks very detailed.
    Very good so far! I can't wait to see the finished product; these kinds of maps always interest me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm always fascinated by these types of drawings because I've never been able to wrap my head around them. Something in my brain prevents me from shifting my paradigm. Keep up the nice work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, very impressive!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Here's an update. I now realize that I wish I made the picture bigger so you could see more details, but the full map is actually quite huge, so I might just go back and draw more detailed areas of the city after I'm done. But there are some landmarks that are clear on the map as it is, and I'll label them later, but from what there is now, the huge building in the back is called The Plateau, and in the bowels of it is the union station for the city. The group of small buildings in the middle near a river is one of the universities, and the circular mass to the east is the city hall and a bunch of other administrative buildings. And of course there's the harbor to the south. There are also stadiums, shopping plazas, a concert hall, and several vertical farms among other buildings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petros WIP 02.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	668.4 KB 
ID:	69366

And just to help with some context as to the size of the buildings I'm imagining, in this section of the city most of the buildings are skyscrapers, and the bunches of buildings to the southwest of the university are tons of skyscrapers built so close to each other you can really only see their rooftops from above. So places like the Plateau are huge megastructures that rise above the rest of the skyscrapers.

Enjoy!