Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starfall

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Default Starfall

Re-post of my October/November 2014 entry.
    „Once, when the ancient ones travelled the roads of heaven between the stars, a great malice came upon them and destroyed the wings of their grand ships. Seven of them landed here, on this desolated world, on which we wither in the darkness of our former glory. Will our starborn brothers and sisters find us, before this world dies and we with it?“
    Create a representation of a half decayed, semiorganic Seedspaceship, that malfunctioned and crashlanded on a dreadfull desert planets over a thousand year ago. The breeding chambers of the Cult of the Starwomb, still giving birth to repeating but amnesiac humans of the original crew members, which make most of the population of this settlements. The Map requested shall show the travel stations of the „Hero“ from his work at the local scrapyards to the inner chamber of the Motherbrain of the ship. The ship itself is hovering with its antigrav field over the settlement, similar to a dome like structure and terraform the environment so that the population can survive. Also, the engines starts to fail and outer settlements were destroyed by the outer conditions.
    Please try to make this Map in a fantasy sytle, as if drawn by a local scholar, resembling rough 17th Century Maps, but with some uncanny and folkloric elements to it

(Fictional Map Commission for a Novel „Starfall“)

Think of this city as the last remnant of a once great culture that has turned into a completely sick and disgusting society, a society that has reached the last stages of its existence (like Aztecs in space). As more and more systems on the starship began to fail, the already superstitious religious leaders turned completely mad and started human sacrifices to appease the Motherbrain. Now you have all sorts of human sacrifices every few days, from simply cutting to pieces alive to putting into the auxiliary digestive bioreactors of the ship (alive of course). A few people oppose this and one of them is our hero, Turmulak.
    A little bit of Moebius and Giger in this map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starfall.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	69244  

The mysterious disappearence of the "I like" button is forcing me to write down much more, I don't know yet if it's a good or a bad thing...

Anyway, this is my favourite map of the recent challenge. Its sources of inspirations (Moebius, H.R. Giger and the Dune universe at least) are greatly mixed and personalized. I love the colour palette choice and I think that the corrupt retro-sci fi atmosphere is greatly rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by fabio p View Post
    The mysterious disappearence of the "I like" button is forcing me to write down much more, I don't know yet if it's a good or a bad thing...

Anyway, this is my favourite map of the recent challenge. Its sources of inspirations (Moebius, H.R. Giger and the Dune universe at least) are greatly mixed and personalized. I love the colour palette choice and I think that the corrupt retro-sci fi atmosphere is greatly rendered.
    Thank you very much!

I am also missing the like button... You did a really fantastic job on this, it was a lot of fun watching it develop and it tells a very compelling story at just a glance.

Just passing by to say again that I really like this map. Great work.

This is the most interesting map I have seen in a while Sapiento! Nice work! It reminds me of a cross between Morrowind the game and the world of this webcomic: http://killsixbilliondemons.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    This is the most interesting map I have seen in a while Sapiento! Nice work! It reminds me of a cross between Morrowind the game and the world of this webcomic: http://killsixbilliondemons.com/
    Nice comic! Thank you, Viking!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Haha, Sapiento, I looove the quotes on the margins!
    Quote Originally Posted by Semptic the Groaner
    "...and punish the heretics with lightness and joy."
    Hilarious!
    And the machine/woman/thing that's pooping out clones or whatever those things are, yeesh!

And the map itself is also pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of Midgar from Final Fantasy 7, if you're familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    Haha, Sapiento, I looove the quotes on the margins! Hilarious!
    And the machine/woman/thing that's pooping out clones or whatever those things are, yeesh!

And the map itself is also pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of Midgar from Final Fantasy 7, if you're familiar.
    Thank you! I had a lot of fun doing this map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast