Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: Pyrus (commission, for Shadire)

Guild Novice

This is looking more and more brilliant with each installment! Amazing work THW!
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

@tainotim: if my map inspires you to create a city map, we may end up in an infinite feedback loop, since your maps were a big inspiration for this. We'll just end up making endless city maps, inspired by each other. Not that that is a bad thing, though

@Ilanthar: thanks.

@Shadire: thanks, too. The next update is coming along--I'm working on the temple district and eastern suburbs. I probably won't be adding colour to future updates (unless it is needed to show what something is), since the scanning process requires the colours to be redone from scratch each time. The final image will, of course, have colour.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Novice

Brilliant (I really need to think of more adjectives)
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

Here's the next update. I've finished the Noble District and the Temple District (not including windows/doors), and the Docks only need the castle to be done. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not putting much effort into colours at the moment. The colours here are primarily meant to distinguish trees from other objects, and test some alternative wall/roof colours (to represent higher quality building materials).

A few more notes:
    --the labels for the temple district are not definite. I'm happy for them to be shifted around, if the client wants.
    --the architecture in the temple district includes Venetian, Vatican, and Turkish influences. The last one, I am hoping, gives it a more exotic look. The gardens, also, I am hoping make it stand out from the other district/s.
    --the architecture in the Noble District is also heavily inspired by Venetian palaces. Eventually, all buildings will have windows, but for now I've only consistently added them to this district to make the structures stand out a bit more.
    --the labels, again, can be influenced by the client's wishes.
    ------@Shadire: if you want to give any further information (eg. the names of the ten ruling families) or suggest shifting things around a bit, please don't hesitate. You can see that it is coming together, and I think those touches will really help.
    --the layout of the eastern district is now visible. As a middle-class area, I'll probably employ Parisian/Renaissance Italian architecture styles.
    --a few sketches for the eastern suburbs are visible, but I'm still trying to figure out what style to do them in.
    --I'm not sure I like how landmark buildings are highlighted. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good way to single out particular buildings? In my opinion, the problem right now is that multiple buildings just blend together.

I'll also add a view of the previous update, with a few experiments in shadows/highlights, to indicate the effect I'm going for.

That's it for now.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 03 B.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	69564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 02 C.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	69566  

Guild Journeyer

Wow! I will following this thread. What a great start!

Guild Novice

My excitement grows with each installment!

For the Temple labels I believe the current ones are quite appropriate. The main point is to have the Phaerimm worshippers have the most grandiose temple, which they do with the current labeling (I'm loving the domes in/on the roof!)

One small comment is that the second item on the label index should be the Shipping Guild en lieu of the Sailors' Guild (It may just be that I mistyped when I first gave you the legend).

As for the ten ruling families, they are (in an approximate order of importance):
    1. House Amalfi - The ruling family
    2. House Gallino - The patron of this house heads the military of Pyrus
    3. House Vitiello - The patron of this house is in charge of magical affairs in the city
    4. House Regalia - Nothing too special about this house
    5. House D'Enrico - Descendants of the city's founder, High Lord Karl Heinrichson (The humans used to be rather Norse before Luxos was devoured by the waves, but Pyrus was founded after the Italian influence had started to take hold)
    6. House Morici - Nothing too special about this house
    7. House Sperandeo - Large benefactors of the Temple of Pelor
    8. House Righi - Nothing too special about this house
    9. House Morreale - Nothing too special about this house
    10. House Benenati - This house is starting to fall from grace, but is still fairly strong

In terms of labeling any gaps in names of landmarks and so on, some suggestions would be Mare/Marediathin (Marediath is the city's predecessor), Heinrich/Heinrichson/D'Enrico, names relating to the other ruling houses, and, quite frankly, any generic Italian names

As for the highlighting, I do agree that the adjacent highlighted buildings to seem to blend together making the borders a tad ambiguous. I've yet to think of any possible solutions (my artistic ability is a tad lackluster), but if I think of anything that I believe might help I'll let you know.

Many thanks!
    Shadire

Thanks Galendae.

Thanks Shadire. I've adjusted the labels, so they are now more accurate and complete. I'll include a pic in the next update. I have to say, I'm really pleased to see the Italian names here; your mention of Venice in the original request is one of the things that encouraged me to take on this commission--I'm a sucker for all things Italian.

EDIT: Shadire, I find that a great way to add depth and realism to a city is to add monuments to important events (eg. statues commemorating a victory/important person, memorial from a fire/plague/battle, outdoor shrine or obelisk for a particular deity, etc.). If there are any events in the city's past that you think they might want to commemorate, I can use them to fill up some more labels. It's just a thought.

THW
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 12-08-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Beautiful so far, as always, THW! Always inspiring me to try and do better lol.
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Guild Novice

Wooh, past major events. This is the part where my players think I'm absolutely insane. I've been writing chronicle of most of the major happenings in the world covering several thousand years. Granted, there are a number of large blank spots due to disasters destroying records (and definitely not just me not wanting to write an extremely detailed chronicle covering every... single... year... ). For the more major events concerning Pyrus:

Founding of Pyrus 3126 IA (Ithil Age) - In the closing days of the Ithil Age High Lord Karl Heinrichson of Marediath leads many of his citizens to found a new city on the new southern continent. The city is named Karlediath

Sinking of Marediath 7 RA (Reborn Age) - 8 years after the founding of Karlediath, Marediath sinks beneath the waves

Great Fire of Karlediath circa 2000 RA - A great fire ravaged the city destroying the archives as well as many of the oldest buildings. The clearing of these buildings made room for the new Italianesque ones

Battle of the Bridge of Urcal 2427 RA - Forces from Karlediath, Belgardiath (another merchant republic city further north on a separate landmass), and the forces of House Urcal (no relation to the Pyrian nobility) battle the Devout of Auril at the Bridge of Urcal (several hundred kilometers west of Pyrus). The Karlediathin, led by King Venerus Heinrichson, win the battle with the aid of the Phaerimm

The Great Conversion circa 2700 RA - King Enrico D'Einricosuo (Heinrichson was gradually becoming more and more Italian) declared Phaerimm worship the state religion. The Archglergy of Pelor was rebranded the Great Temple of the Phaerimm

The Phaerimm Wars 2750 (Ends at the year 2840) RA to 326 DA (Divided Age) - A series of wars fought between a coalition and the city-states from the northern continent against a coalition of Karlediath, Belgardiath, and the Phaerimm.
    Notable battles: the Siege of Belgardiath, the Burning of Endstone, the Fourth Battle of the Bridge of Urcal, and the Battle of the Pyrian Fields.
    Notable Karlediathin commands are: King Onofrio D'Einricsuo, King Oderico D'Enricsuo (another gradual name change), General Arturo Salvadori, Admiral Ciriaco Curami, and Archmage Alessio di Maio

After of the Phaerimm Wars circa 320 DA - Karlediath is renamed Pyrus after the Pyrian fields. Worship of Pelor and Asmodeus are tolerated within the city once more.

The Burning Famine 580 DA - The growing desert to the south destroys much of the farmland owned by Pyrus to the south of the Sea of Pyrus. The hunger causes the people to revolt. Mirco Zisa of the Shipping Guild leads a force which topples the reign of King Nico D'Enricsuo and installs the merchant republic, but with guilds en lieu of families.

The Scarlet Plague circa 1100 DA - The Scarlet Plague reaches Pyrus and kills ~40% of the population. Lord Advocate Regalia of the Cartographers' Guild is in power at the time. The plague claims all members of the Zisa family

The Noble Republic 1242 DA - Due to the waning power of the guilds power is instead granted to the ten most powerful noble houses, forming the Council of Ten

The Gorthrokin Invasion 1823 DA - A vast army of dragonborn invade the continent and strike at Pyrus. A coalition of the various city-states manages to repel them.
    Notable generals are: Prince Urcal (a tiefling), King Dario Contrini of Chalus (formerly Belgardiath), Chancellor Thamiar Telcondi XI of Cryus (an elf), and Lord Advocate Damaso D'Enrico of Pyrus

Present Day 1456 BA (Burning Age) - Lord Advocate Enrico Amalfi presides over the Council of Ten

This may be bit extensive, but better too much than too little, right? (Or if it isn't extensive enough I can definitely provide you with more events)

Many Thanks,
    Shadire

P.S. I was thinking of starting a thread on the Guild with entries that include a handful of key points in the chronicle and an updated map of the world. Do you think this is a good idea?
    Last edited by shadire; 12-09-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks Jalyha.

Shadire, that information is excellent. I'll definitely be able to include some of it in the next update. Also, are there any great explorers/scientists/philosophers/artists/writers/inventors etc originally from Pyrus or who came to live in the city?

THW

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast