Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Pyrus (commission, for Shadire)

This is going to be incredbly fantastic when it gets some colour and texture. Well, it already is fantastic, but you get my point.

Oh and the slums look great (really like the variously coloured roofs), but even people living in slums deserve to have a door of some sort to their shack. Or at least a doorway. Also, really cool walkways between the buildings.

edit: oh, wait. are there two slums quarters? the one on the left looks drearier than the other one, so maybe that's the slums? still, very nice buildings.
    Last edited by Soixante; 01-01-2015 at 07:03 AM.

You're right, there are two separate slum districts. The left-hand one shows my first experiments, and the right hand one my later experiments. My brother advised me to try and make it look more sprawly, and so that is what I tried to do. I think the second is probably better, but it is also harder to work out the architecture that is being depicted. I'm going tobsuggest to Shadire that the separate styles is due to different racial/ethnic populations, or different historical developments or somesuch.

Thanks for the praise, Soixante.

THW

Edit: oh, also, just to clarify
    --The different coloured roofs on the right-hand slums are meant to be simple cloth awnings, to reflect the poverty of the neighbourhood.
    --There are still a few neighbourhoods that need doors and windows. They'll probably show up in the next update.
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 01-01-2015 at 07:39 AM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Still going strong THW, this is splendid. I’m actually trying to stop myself from looking at this too much, so I can pour over all the wonderful details when it’s finished and marvel over the beauty. Just amazing!

As of feedback, all I can say is keep doing what you are doing. Can’t wait for the next update. You inspire me!

Oh, and happy new year!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

A lot of details and m(h)appiness here

Thanks Tainotim and Ilanthar.

I thought I'd post this picture. It is the same drawing as the previous update, just with more colour, some experiments with shadows, and expanded labels.

Still struggling with how to highlight certain buildings, and make sure the labels stick out clearly. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 05 D.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	70006  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think you have the right idea - shading the unimportant buildings a darker tone and stick the numbers on a roof. I've seen some put the numbers in the street but that doesn't always work out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

THW, your amazing work has left me speechless. Thank you very much for your work thus far on Pyrus! Apologies for brief hiatus in not responding sooner to your updates, the Christmas season has brought many nasty storms to my doorstep (and power lines).

In terms of my preference/non-professional input for the outlines/labels, I prefer the current highlighted labels over the earlier plain text ones, as it makes them more visible. For positioning the labels, I believe that your current system seems to work fine, and (as far as I know) I am capable of distinguishing which labels correspond to which building. As for highlighting, maybe trying a fainter outline between connected buildings to help distinguish them. Bear in mind, I have little to no visual artistic capabilities, but (hopefully) my suggestions might be of some benefit.

Many thanks,
    Shadire

P.S. The military district has me dying of excitement, absolutely brilliant!
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

Thanks Shadire and Ascension.

Almost finished the drawing now, so I probably won't be putting any more updates until I can scan the completed picture, before proceeding to the final colouring and labelling stage.

@Shadire: a few things I ought to mention:
    --I am considering making the western countryside into a forest area, with ruined farmhouses to go with your mention of hobgoblin raids. If you do not want it to be forested, let me know as soon as possible (as I mentioned previously, once it is in ink, I can't change it any more).
    --The poor district, interpreted as slums, does not go the entire way around the city's compass, as your diagram suggested, but is rather divided into two areas. I had to do that be ause the axonometric angle of the picture left me with no space to add slums all the way round. I hope that isn't a problem.
    --The suburbs in the east are now drawn. Parts of them I like, but other parts I think I overdid. Consequently I am going to tone down the other bits to be more like connected villages. Again, hope that's alright.
    --Happy to try out your suggestion with the labelling, and take on board Ascension's comments. The thinner black line to separate structures is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

THW

A fine process to follow

Guild Novice

Again, my apologies for the delay in responding to your message. I am fine with the western countryside being forested (not too densely of course due to its proximity to the city). The poor district being disconnected should not be a problem. I would definitely much prefer a very nice map than one completely faithful to my (rather rough) diagram. The toning down of the eastern suburbs should also be fine, and I have confidence that you can definitely do so in a most pleasing fashion.

Many thanks,
    Shadire
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast