Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Pyrus (commission, for Shadire)

Any news on this THW? I'm eager to see your next update

Cheers,
    KV

Apologies for the lack of updates, and thanks for the comments.

@shadire: thanks for approving those alterations. I hope you won't be disappointed with the way I've done the countryside. Expect to receive a private message shortly, to finalise a few things about the map.

@tainotim: I expect to have the drawing completed this weekend (maybe even tonight). At that point--and once I have found a copy shop to scan it--there'll only remain colour, shadows, and labels to be done. It's very close, now.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

OK, as promised, I finished the drawing over the weekend. I've attached it below as the latest update on this project. Unfortunately, the copy shop scanned it at a very poor resolution, and I had to further compress it to fit with CG file size limits (making it a PNG in the process). The update below, therefore, just shows what I have accomplished with the drawing so far. Later this week I hope to find a place that can scan it at a decent quality, so I can begin colouring, shading, and annotating the image.

I'd be happy if anyone can suggest useful tips for getting large images scanned, and maintaining an acceptable filesize for CG posting (bearing in mind, I am fairly technically illiterate).

In the meantime, I have begun drawing little ships that I will insert into the harbour using photoshop (hopefully it will add more life to the image), and I'll try playing around with colour on this inadequate scanned file.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms are welcome.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyrus 06 A.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	70266  

Fantastic! Congrats on the commission and well done.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Some nice job here THW ! The perspective looks a bit odd to me here and there though. Which kind of perspective did you choose for it?

Thanks guys. Um, just to be clear, this map isn't finished. I posted the above update to celebrate the completion of the hand-drawn part (the longest and hardest stage, certainly). The digital phase is coming next. Just explaining so there's no misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Some nice job here THW ! The perspective looks a bit odd to me here and there though. Which kind of perspective did you choose for it?
    I think it is isometric, but, really, I've never applied the rules of perspective very systematically. I tend to just go with instinct. I know that there are a few problems here with the drawing, but once it is in ink, there's no going back. I try to justify it by telling myself that, since medieval cities rarely have right-angled corners, it wouldn't matter too much. Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it. Being new to the commissioned mapmaking game, I expect there's a lot I could learn from seasoned professionals like you and Arsheesh.

THW

Wonderful THW! I love it. You really have an eye for unique details. Like the outskirts in the top left part, with the camp and the ruins: or the dried out moat surrounding the town. Also, love that you really managed to maintain the class differences within and outside the town. Can't wait to see this with some color. Was this done on a a3?

Like Max mentioned, there are some perspective issues overall, however, I like it. It gives a certain charm, or identity, to your style that works for me

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    I think it is isometric, but, really, I've never applied the rules of perspective very systematically. I tend to just go with instinct. I know that there are a few problems here with the drawing, but once it is in ink, there's no going back. I try to justify it by telling myself that, since medieval cities rarely have right-angled corners, it wouldn't matter too much. Thanks for the feedback; I appreciate it. Being new to the commissioned mapmaking game, I expect there's a lot I could learn from seasoned professionals like you and Arsheesh.

THW
    Yes, sorry to haven't point it on an earlier stage. Actually, on an isometric perspective, the vertical lines will be strictly vertical. There's a lot of vertical lines here that are tilted which looks a bit odd and give the perspective a wrong overall feeling. But well, it's still a nice work anyway

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Actually, on an isometric perspective, the vertical lines will be strictly vertical. There's a lot of vertical lines here that are tilted which looks a bit odd and give the perspective a wrong overall feeling.
    Ah, yes, now I know what you mean. I did intend on keeping lines vertical, but, when drawing freehand, I expect it is inevitable that things will end up wonky. I notice tainotim's hand-drawn maps don't have this issue, though: maybe I should take lessons from him

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Wonderful THW! I love it. You really have an eye for unique details. Like the outskirts in the top left part, with the camp and the ruins: or the dried out moat surrounding the town. Also, love that you really managed to maintain the class differences within and outside the town. Can't wait to see this with some color. Was this done on a a3?
    Thanks. Yep, A3 (which is probably why it took so long).

THW
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 01-19-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Guild Novice

Marvelous work THW, I cannot wait to see the full city in colour! I do especially like the way that the agricultural land in the NE turned out (it is reminding me quite a bit of Eau des collines, but the beauty of the map far beats the twisted memories ) as well as the suburbs outside the walls. I never really did put much thought into what life outside the walls of Pyrus would be like, but this should make for some very interesting encounters for when the party's dealing with some less than reputable figures.

Many thanks,
    Shadire
    "All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination." -Earl Nightingale

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast